[SOLVED] NVMe SSD not detected on new Gigabyte motherboard ?

Apr 20, 2022
Hi. I just bought a new rig including a Gigabyte B660M GAMING motherboard. I was previously using an A320M S2H motherboard with a HikVision E100N 256GB M.2 SATA SSD installed.

My problem is that the same SSD isn't being detected on the new B660M and despite its light turning on, the BIOS states "No NVMe device found".

I've tried:
  • Switching between the 2 available slots
  • Reseating the drive multiple times
  • Disabled and enabled CSM from the BIOS, all without luck
The SSD was working fine on the previous mobo (which supported both M.2 SATA and M.2 PCIe drives in a single slot) and has Windows 10 installed on it, so I would've expected it to work on the B660M too. Is this a compatibility issue or should it be working? Much appreciate any help.

Solution
I'm not looking for anything high end, but if you can provide any budget SSD suggestion with a decent price to performance ratio then I'd be grateful.
You can use your current SSD with adapter mentioned above (post #3).

If you want to get a new NVME drive, then choose Samsung 970 evo. Excellent performance, ok price.
PCIE 4.0 NVME drives would be more expensive.
HikVision E100N 256GB M.2 SATA SSD installed.
My problem is that the same SSD isn't being detected on the new B660M and despite its light turning on, the BIOS states "No NVMe device found".
That's because HikVision E100N 256GB M.2 SATA SSD is not NVME. It is SATA drive (in M.2 form factor).
Your motherboard doesn't support SATA M.2 drives.

You can install this drive into your pc using SATA to M.2 adapter.

sat32m225.main.jpg

https://www.startech.com/en-pe/hdd/sat32m225

Apr 20, 2022
Can you help me figure out the distinction between the two? According to the website the motherboard supports "M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2260/2280 PCIe 4.0 x4/x2 SSD support)"
The SSD I have is type 2280. How do I go about purchasing a new SSD and what info should I be looking for to identify what will and won't work with my new motherboard?

Will a "Kingston NV1 M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD SNVS" work with this motherboard?

I'm not looking for anything high end, but if you can provide any budget SSD suggestion with a decent price to performance ratio then I'd be grateful.
You can use your current SSD with adapter mentioned above (post #3).

If you want to get a new NVME drive, then choose Samsung 970 evo. Excellent performance, ok price.
PCIE 4.0 NVME drives would be more expensive.

Solution