[SOLVED] NVMe SSD not detected

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 16, 2019
I just got my Samsung 970 Evo Plus in the mail, and decided to install it. It clicked in, I gave it a little wiggle, but its nowhere to be found. I checked disk mgmt and plugged it into a different slot in my motherboard, and nothing works. The SSD does heat up to about 90F, and my other drives are working fine.

Specs:
Intel core i9-9900k
Asus Maximus XI Hero
Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB
Samsung 860 Evo 250GB
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200

Thanks in advance!

Solution
If it doesn't show up in BIOS / UEFI at all, and it isn't detected during Windows install, I would say there's a good chance it's a faulty drive.

I hope you'll figure it out. I'm on BIOS 1302 and running two Samsung 970 EVO Plus drives with no issues at all - so fingers crossed a BIOS update will get things moving, although I must say it is very strange the drive is completely undetected, no matter what you do. Even if you had 6 SATA3 drives installed, the NVMe drive should be detected.

Also, unless you install any hardware into the bottom PCIEx16_3 slot (it is not connected to the M.2 ports in any way, they are both always able to run x4), there's no real reason to switch from x2 to x4 mode, since nothing is using the bandwidth...

jon96789

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Do you have anything in the SATA ports? If so, make sure all devices are plugged in the SATA port in numerical order. If you have six SATA ports and use port 6, it will interfere with the M.2 slot as it uses the same data channels. M.2 ports usually displaces the last two SATA ports...

its not working bro
How so?
Did you check BIOS (Advanced/NVME configuration) ?

bios_60-copy.jpg

Jan 16, 2019
Do you have anything in the SATA ports? If so, make sure all devices are plugged in the SATA port in numerical order. If you have six SATA ports and use port 6, it will interfere with the M.2 slot as it uses the same data channels. M.2 ports usually displaces the last two SATA ports...
i do, and i have them plugged into the first 4, so it shoudn't interfere

Actually, on this motherboard (Maximus XI Hero) it only disables SATA 5 and 6 when you manually change the PCIE_3 to x4 mode instead of default x2 mode when both M.2 ports are in use and they are NVMe drives.

If you don't manually switch PCIE_3 to x4 mode, all 6 SATA ports are active, even when using both M.2 sockets.

So there's no reason for the NVMe drive in OPs sytem not to show up, no matter what disks are used in the SATA ports, and which ports they are connected to.

EDIT:

If the drive does show up in BIOS (UEFI) in the sub menu shown in a picture further up in the thread, but not under BOOT options, it might help switching to Legacy + UEFI, instead of just UEFI mode.

Also, I ran into an issue, where I was unable to set an empty NVMe drive as primary BOOT devicve until Windows was installed.
The disk didn't show at all as a bootable device, but it did pop up during the Win 10 install process, and I was able to install Windows as you normally do. After a reboot, the drive was now bootable, and showed up under BOOT options

Last edited:
Jan 16, 2019
Actually, on this motherboard (Maximus XI Hero) it only disables SATA 5 and 6 when you manually change the PCIE_3 to x4 mode instead of default x2 mode when both M.2 ports are in use and they are NVMe drives.

If you don't manually switch PCIE_3 to x4 mode, all 6 SATA ports are active, even when using both M.2 sockets.

So there's no reason for the NVMe drive in OPs sytem not to show up, no matter what disks are used in the SATA ports, and which ports they are connected to.

EDIT:

If the drive does show up in BIOS (UEFI) in the sub menu shown in a picture further up in the thread, but not under BOOT options, it might help switching to Legacy + UEFI, instead of just UEFI mode.

Also, I ran into an issue, where I was unable to set an empty NVMe drive as primary BOOT devicve until Windows was installed.
The disk didn't show at all as a bootable device, but it did pop up during the Win 10 install process, and I was able to install Windows as you normally do. After a reboot, the drive was now bootable, and showed up under BOOT options
Hey MadsModsat, I updated the bios to 1401 to solve my other problem, which it did, and hopefully it will solve this one aswell. I will also try to unplug the other drives, plug the nvme in, and see if it can install windows 10 on it. Thanks! Also, my sata ports are in the top 4, so switching to x4 is no problem. and for showing up in the BIOS, its not there.

Last edited:
If it doesn't show up in BIOS / UEFI at all, and it isn't detected during Windows install, I would say there's a good chance it's a faulty drive.

I hope you'll figure it out. I'm on BIOS 1302 and running two Samsung 970 EVO Plus drives with no issues at all - so fingers crossed a BIOS update will get things moving, although I must say it is very strange the drive is completely undetected, no matter what you do. Even if you had 6 SATA3 drives installed, the NVMe drive should be detected.

Also, unless you install any hardware into the bottom PCIEx16_3 slot (it is not connected to the M.2 ports in any way, they are both always able to run x4), there's no real reason to switch from x2 to x4 mode, since nothing is using the bandwidth, might as well maximize drive options instead.

Last edited:
Solution
Jan 16, 2019

Also, unless you install any hardware into the bottom PCIEx16_3 slot (it is not connected to the M.2 ports in any way, they are both always able to run x4), there's no real reason to switch from x2 to x4 mode, since nothing is using the bandwidth, might as well maximize drive options instead.
hopefully it isn't a faulty drive, and i only have 2 sata installed, with nothing on the bottom pcie x3 slot. if it still doesn't work, i will purchase a nvme pcie adaptor on amazon, plug it in, and see if its the drive, or the motherboard slots that are broken, but seeing that i have 2 slots, its most likely the drive.

May 5, 2020

Hey Mate, just made an account just so I could thank you. Just spent the better part of two hours trying to figure out why my V-NAND SSD 860 QVO SATA 6/Gb/s wasnt appearing.

It wasnt appearing in BIOS or in Disk Management.
I had my M.2 SSD in the M.2_1 port under my CPU and my SATA cable in SATA cable 1. I am assuming the data channels were being overrided. Thanks so much for your comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.