Question NVMe SSD not detected

Jan 12, 2023
Hello,

I recently bought a Samsung Pro 990 SSD as an extra storage capacity and after installing it in my M.2 slot and rebooting, Windows, Device Manager and BIOS do not see it. Here's my PC configuration:

PC configuration:
Motherboard: GigaByte B360M D2V (manual available here)
CPU: Intel i7-8700

Other storage devices:
SATA 0 - Samsung SSD 850 EVO
SATA 1 - WDC WD10EZEX-08WN4A0 (HDD)

Following other threads on this forum, I tried a couple of things:

My BIOS is up to date
I updated my BIOS to the latest version (F15) and the SSD is still not detected.

BIOS says there is no NVMe device
I have a section in the BIOS called "NVMe configuration" but when I open it I see the message "No NVMe device found"

The SSD is not broken
I installed the SSD into my laptop and I could see it in the Device Manager. I formatted it and put it back into my PC but the PC can't see it.

I only have 1 M.2 slot on the motherboard
Some other people on other threads say that installing the SSD into the 2nd M.2 slot fixes this, but I only have 1 slot.

The motherboard should support an NVMe SSD
Looking at the motherboard specs, it says "1 x M.2 connector (Socket 3, M key, type 2242/2260/2280 SATA and PCIe x4/x2 SSD support)" so it should see it.

Disconnecting the other storage devices doesn't work
I tried disconnecting my other SSD and HDD so that the M.2 SSD is the only storage available. Then I used a bootable Windows 10 USB stick to attempt to install the OS on the SSD, but the Windows installer can't detect the SSD.

Any idea why it can't see the SSD?

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Does going into Disk Manager bring up any option to initialize the drive?

I updated my BIOS to the latest version and the SSD is still not detected.
Did you clear the CMOS after your BIOS successfully updated to the latest version? For the sake of context, you're advised to state the version of the BIOS you're on at this moment of time. We have a lot of people come in here and say latest when in reality there were BIOS updates or one update pending unbeknownst to the end user. As for your CMOS clearing, you're advised to power down the system, disconnect from the wall and display, then remove the CMOS battery and then press and hold down the power button to drain any residual power. Replace the battery after 30 minutes and see if that helps you out.

Jan 12, 2023
Does going into Disk Manager bring up any option to initialize the drive?

No, when I go to Disk Management I can only see the other 2 storage devices that I have with their specific drives.

Did you clear the CMOS after your BIOS successfully updated to the latest version?

I just cleared my CMOS using both the jumper and the battery method and I got the confirmation when I entered the BIOS, but I still can't see the SSD. Then I selected "Load optimized settings" in the BIOS to load the defaults, but still no luck.

My BIOS firmware is F15, I updated the main post too.

ichai

Reputable
Mar 18, 2018
I have the same probelm with my WD Black 2TB SSD and an Asrock B450 Pro4 Motherboard. even if its the only drive in the system the bios will not recognise it.....
just got it today and really hope its not broken

Jan 12, 2023
I have the same probelm with my WD Black 2TB SSD and an Asrock B450 Pro4 Motherboard. even if its the only drive in the system the bios will not recognise it.....
just got it today and really hope its not broken

If you want to test if the SSD is working or not, try putting it into another PC or laptop. Mine is working when I put it into my laptop so I know it's not the SSD's fault, it's something with my configuration.

Jan 12, 2023
Make sure you're inserting the NVMe all the way in.

Only other thing is to verify that the NVMe slot isn't dead but you'll need another NVMe drive for that.

I took out the NVMe SSD and replaced it with another NVMe but my PC can't recognize the 2nd one either. I'm not sure if my M.2 slot is damaged or if I just have a bad configuration somewhere.