Question NVMe SSD occasionally disappears from the Boot Menu on Lenovo laptop ?

Jul 7, 2023
Hey guys ,

I am using a Lenovo Ideapad 3 Gaming -15ACH6 which has an internal NVMe SSD that has Windows 11 installed on it which works perfectly fine (mostly) when randomly sometimes the laptop when turned on , stops detecting the drive and it disappears from the Boot Menu in BIOS as well, it just shows the error that says Boot failed or boot device not found and then proceeds to show all the bootable devices of which there are none.

Now to fix this I just leave the laptop turned off for a few seconds or a minute and then voila ! it boots normally again into Windows no problem.

I thought this could've been a BIOS issue , so I recently updated to the latest BIOS available for my laptop but the problem still persists .. One thing you might wanna know is that yes, I have opened up the laptop once since it was bought last year to upgrade the RAM by adding another 8 gig stick and also adding an extra SATA SSD , which does not have any operating system on it and is only used for storing applications and games.

Should I open up the laptop and try re-seating the SSD or is this related to some other issue ?
Please let me know , since this issue started plaguing my laptop only a few weeks ago, considering the Laptop is rather new I find this concerning on the laptop's overall health

Thanks !

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You stated updating the BIOS for the laptop. I'd try and power down the laptop, disassemble it and then disconnect the battery, then press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds(while there is no power hooked to the laptop) and then reconnect the battery, then power up the laptop and see if the issue persists.

Can you check and see what the make and model of your SSD is off of Device Manager?

Reactions: Someone_
Jul 7, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You stated updating the BIOS for the laptop. I'd try and power down the laptop, disassemble it and then disconnect the battery, then press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds(while there is no power hooked to the laptop) and then reconnect the battery, then power up the laptop and see if the issue persists.

Can you check and see what the make and model of your SSD is off of Device Manager?
Hey ,

I actually wanted to know just that , if opening the laptop would be required .. I actually tried doing this without opening the laptop i.e. completely discharging the battery (I know its bad for battery health but its easier than opening the laptop and risk breaking the plastic tabs) . That didn't do anything and the problem persisted . The SSD in question is the Samsung MZALQ256HBJD-00BL2 . Rather common SSD it seems as per google search.

Jul 7, 2023
Hey ,

I actually wanted to know just that , if opening the laptop would be required .. I actually tried doing this without opening the laptop i.e. completely discharging the battery (I know its bad for battery health but its easier than opening the laptop and risk breaking the plastic tabs) . That didn't do anything and the problem persisted . The SSD in question is the Samsung MZALQ256HBJD-00BL2 . Rather common SSD it seems as per google search.
Hey !

Any updates ? Anything ? Fixes or suggestions ? Cause today it went all out, the laptop did turn on but no display at all now, the laptop would indicate it has turn on since the keyboard lit up and the keyboard backlit on and off function was working but absolutely no display, clicking the caps lock key did not light it up either, meaning it wasn't booting. Thankfully someone on Lenovo forums recommended a complete discharge/static discharge by holding the power button for 60 seconds and then plugging the charger in again. After waiting a few seconds, it spun back to life back again, I thought it might be a BIOS issue so I reset the BIOS and it still boots fine but who says it won't exhibit the issue again ? Any permanent fixes guys ? Since the issue it seems is progressing and I DO NOT wanna risk my laptop in any way or form.

Thanks !

TRENDING THREADS