[SOLVED] NVMe SSD on my 8 year old system?

Oct 26, 2020
Can anyone advise me whether I can install a NVMe SSD drive on my current setup in my signature, or how I might go about finding out. I'm looking at upgrading in the next few months and checking what's possible, or what needs upgrading first to make it possible. NVMe SSDs seem to be the best choice for speed and futureproofing the pc so I won't have to upgrade the hard drive for a while. One possible choice is the Samsung 970 Evo Plus NVMe PCIe M.2 2TB.

Solution
nvme goes into an m.2 slot on the motherboard. if you have a slot, you can get an nvme drive. if you don't, then get a sata ssd. you can't just create an m.2 slot and expect it to work.

they make some adapters for pcie slots or that hook into sata ports but they do not offer any more speed than a normal sata drive and are therefore a waste of money. if you have the m.2 slot, then go for it, if not, wait until you upgrade and pick a board with the right slot you want to use

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
nvme goes into an m.2 slot on the motherboard. if you have a slot, you can get an nvme drive. if you don't, then get a sata ssd. you can't just create an m.2 slot and expect it to work.

they make some adapters for pcie slots or that hook into sata ports but they do not offer any more speed than a normal sata drive and are therefore a waste of money. if you have the m.2 slot, then go for it, if not, wait until you upgrade and pick a board with the right slot you want to use

Reactions: JohnSmith7798
Solution
Oct 26, 2020
Thanks guys. Had a look at what the M.2 slot would look like and my motherboard doesn't have one. I might hold off upgrading the hard drive until I upgrade the motherboard first.