[SOLVED] NVMe SSD only has a speed of 800MB/s

Jun 19, 2021
Hey, so i got a new SSD from Adata XPG Gammix S11 Pro and it's an NVMe one and I was sure that it works with my motherboard(Asustek z97-p) and it does to an extent. I can see it in windows and I can copy stuff on it, I even played some video games but I tried to test it's speed and it maxed out at around 800MB/s(it says 3500MB/s read and 3000MB/s write on the box). I looked in Bios and the SSD is not showing up. I was just curious if maybe there is a compatibility problem with my motherboard and I'm planing to install windows on it in the future. If you have any idea of what is going on or you can explain to me how the m.2 compatibility works I would be very grateful cause it's all very confusing to me. Ty for your time and ty in advance.

Solution
Yep, that Z97 board is the issue. It will NOT provide full speed with that drive.

Regarding the Windows install...what type drive is it on now?
NVMe support forZ97 boards was very spotty.
Jun 19, 2021
First of all, ty for the replys. I guess I will just use it like that but there is one thing I just noticed. While playing Forza Horizon 5 from the SSD I have some fps spikes every 30s or so. I moved it to another SSD that is a SATA one and the spikes are gone. So idk what to make of that, I will try other games tomorrow to see if it does the same. And regarding windows, I am running Windows 10 from a Kingstone SV300 120GB, and I have one more from Kingstone that I use to run Linux for my projects. I can't reinstall widows right now cause I am working on something and it would be a paint to get everything setup so I will try to move to the nvme one in like 6 months from now maybe. Until then I will just run games from it.

USAFRet

Titan
First of all, ty for the replys. I guess I will just use it like that but there is one thing I just noticed. While playing Forza Horizon 5 from the SSD I have some fps spikes every 30s or so. I moved it to another SSD that is a SATA one and the spikes are gone. So idk what to make of that, I will try other games tomorrow to see if it does the same. And regarding windows, I am running Windows 10 from a Kingstone SV300 120GB, and I have one more from Kingstone that I use to run Linux for my projects. I can't reinstall widows right now cause I am working on something and it would be a paint to get everything setup so I will try to move to the nvme one in like 6 months from now maybe.
Don't move to that NVMe drive.
On your motherboard, that drive and port may not be usable as the OS drive.

Instead, replace your small Kingston with a larger SATA III SSD.

it maxed out at around 800MB/s(it says 3500MB/s read and 3000MB/s write on the box).
If you want full speed of your NVME drive, then
you could use M.2 PCIE adapter and
put it into first PCIE x16 slot and install NVME drive in there.
This way your NVME drive would operate in PCIE 3.0 x4 mode.

But that would mean - graphics card would need to be moved second PCIE x16 slot (PCIE 2.0 x2). This would limit graphics card performance.

your z97-p is the issue. it is too old to support the pcie 3 x4 max speed
Not true. First PCIE x16 slot supports PCIE 3.0 mode.

Last edited: