NVME SSD TBW experts please help me.

killerabdb

Proper
Apr 3, 2018
Hey guys I just upgraded my PC from a slow 1TB 7200rpm HDD to a 970 Evo 500GB. I have been using the SSD for like a week now, maybe even less. I clean installed Windows 10 Pro on it and ever since I first installed Samsung Macigian software on my PC for the drive, the TBW kept increasing from like 0.1 to 0.2, then 0.3 and so on. After like a day or two of usage it went to 0.9, and just now the weirdest thing happened, the TBW was at 1.3, then I ran two benchmarks of my 970 Evo, one using the Magician software itself, then using the CrystalDiskMark software. I got the advertised speeds, but then I uninstalled and re-installed Magician again and this time the TBW was at 1.5! Do you think the two benchmarks caused a total of 200GB TBW on my drive? Also, I have never done anything in my PC apart from gaming (like Battlefield and World War 3) and watching YouTube. That's all I do, gaming and YouTube.

Guys, please tell me why the TBW went up to 1.5 from 1.3 after just two benchmarks, and also why the TBW kept increasing from the start (like 100gb per day) when all I ever did was game on my PC? I've never done any file transfers, video editing or anything like that since I installed the 970 Evo. Any help would be highly appreciated, thanks.

Watching youtube - means you're downloading a ton of video content.
Everything you watch, gets temporarily downloaded and saved to your SSD.

Do you have HDD in your system also?
I'd suggest you relocate browser cache to your HDD, if you're going to watch youtube 24x7.

killerabdb

Proper
Apr 3, 2018

Thanks for the input. Yes, I do have a HDD in my system, can you please explain to me how to relocate Chrome browser cache to my HDD. Also, could there be any other reason as to why the TBW keeps going up? Like I saw someone talking about indexing and that it should be turned off. Should I do this?

USAFRet

Titan
Don't monitor it that often.
You just installed the OS and applications. All those things are also doing updates, etc.
You're running a lot of benchmerks, etc.
That daily TBW will even out after a while.

Turn Indexing OFF. Turn hibernation OFF.
Check it once a week. Then once a month.

killerabdb

Proper
Apr 3, 2018

How do I turn indexing and hibernation off?

USAFRet

Titan
Hibernation:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/920730/how-to-disable-and-re-enable-hibernation-on-a-computer-that-is-running

Press the Windows button on the keyboard to open Start menu or Start screen.
Search for cmd. In the search results list, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as Administrator.
When you are prompted by User Account Control, click Continue.
At the command prompt, type powercfg.exe /hibernate off, and then press Enter.
Type exit, and then press Enter to close the Command Prompt window.

Indexing:
This PS
Right click the drive in question.
Properties
Deselect the checkbox
gyBKINi.png

killerabdb

Proper
Apr 3, 2018

Wow thanks man. But how do I relocate browser cache to my HDD?

USAFRet

Titan

Why do you want to do this?
Another week has now gone by. What has your monitoring of the data written to that SSD show?

killerabdb

Proper
Apr 3, 2018

Wow thanks for coming back! I want to do that because according to SkyNetRising, watching YouTube a lot, especially 4K videos, causes a lot of writes to the SSD. And I watch YouTube a lot, so he suggested that I 'relocate the Chrome browser cache to my HDD.' He also said it's because everything I watch, gets temporarily downloaded and saved to the SSD.

Also, the TBW in Samsung Magician only goes up when I run a benchmark using SM or CrystalDiskMark. I tested this out twice, I ran two benchmarks, one with SM and the other with CDM, and when I checked the TBW, it had gone up by 0.2 TBW, or 200B. When I ran just one benchmark using CrystalDiskMark, the TBW goes up by 100GB. 100GB of TBW for just one benchmark? That's insane!

I stopped running benchmarks a week ago and the TBW at that time was 2.1 TB. Now after a week of gaming, and watching quite a lot of YouTube at high resolutions, the TBW is at 2.2. So what do you think?

Also @USAFRet can you confirm that running one benchmark using either CrystalDM or Samsung Magician does actually increase TBW by a whopping 100GB? Thanks for helping!

USAFRet

Titan

No it does not. Testing just now.
Samsung 860 EVO 500GB. 231GB consumed space.
Secondary drive, installed approx Sept 5 2018, 2 months ago.

ObpCImb.png

CylwWer.png

GJZZQTe.png

And the actual benchmarks
fpSLduh.png

So, the Magician wrote 24GB, and CrystalDiskMark wrote 33GB.