[SOLVED] nvme + ssd vs. nvme + nvme setup.

Solution
The reason why I am asking is that some said to that nvme + ssd laptop setup is 2017/2018 standard, and dual nvmes is the modern and more current setup.

Don't know it its true or not?
NVMe uses a newer M.2 socket type and is a newer type of drive. However unless you are actually doing something that can specifically benefit from the additional speeds NVMe can offer you won’t notice any benefit. For example let’s take gaming, who cares if a game loads in 20 seconds or 21/22 seconds. That is the type of difference between a good SSD and top end NVMe. However other workloads can show significant benefits.

Euroman28

Reputable
Jan 23, 2020
Depends what the laptop will be used for. If doing work where NVMe speeds are beneficial then go dual NVMe. For most home uses you won’t tell the difference between a good SATA SSD and an NVMe.

The reason why I am asking is that some said to that nvme + ssd laptop setup is 2017/2018 standard, and dual nvmes is the modern and more current setup.

NVMe uses a newer M.2 socket type and is a newer type of drive. However unless you are actually doing something that can specifically benefit from the additional speeds NVMe can offer you won’t notice any benefit. For example let’s take gaming, who cares if a game loads in 20 seconds or 21/22 seconds. That is the type of difference between a good SSD and top end NVMe. However other workloads can show significant benefits.

Solution

Does not matter one bit what drives are in the system, you need to look at the specific laptop to compare it and decide. You did not really ask the right question here, what exactly are you looking for? Drive configuration depends on price and usage of the system more than just saying what is modern or not. Yes higher end systems now can very well have dual M2 nvme drive slots available, but that does not automatically make systems with a 2.5 SSD worse.