[SOLVED] NVMe ssd with PCIe adapter or sata ssd?

shadybk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2015
I currently have a samsung 960 evo nvme 256gb ssd as my boot drive, I want a secondary drive to store my games and files.

My motherboard only has one m.2 nvme slot which is being used by the evo 960, my motherboard also has 2 PCIe 3.0 x16, my gpu is using one, the other one is free.

I know an nvme ssd is faster than a sata ssd, but if I get another nvme drive then I'll have to use an PCIe adapter to connect it to the PCIe 3.0 x16 slot on my motherboard, correct? Will this slow down the ssd because it's using an adapter? Can my motherboard support two nvme drives?

The only reason why I am considering a nvme drive is because for some reason they are cheaper than sata ssds, why is this?

If the NVMe ssds with adapters are cheaper than a sata ssd and my motherboard can support a second nvme drive, does it make any sense to get a sata ssd as a secondary drive?

https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/Z170 Pro4S/index.us.asp?cat=Download&os=Win1064

Last edited:
Solution
Just get SATA, there is about zero advantage over having games installed on NVME in lieu of SATA. ( one of the Adata 2 TB drives is about 60% off for $185 about now?)

shadybk

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2015
What specific motherboard?
What do you use this system for?
What drives are you considering?

Forgot to put the link to my motherboard.
The second drive is mainly going to be for gaming and every other file/document I have on my pc.
I'm looking at samsung 860 evo 1tb because it's on sale for $110, and at the Intel 660p Series M.2 2280 1TB PCIe NVMe 3.0 x4 for $82 on newegg, and probably an extra $15 for an adapter so it comes out to pretty much the same price as the sata ssd.
I didn't see any significantly cheaper sata 1tb ssds from good brands