Question nVME storage life expectancy

Jul 6, 2022
Hi Folks.

I own a Gigabyte Aero 17 laptop with an Intel i7 (9750h) 16 GB of RAM, and an m2 drive at 512 GB.

My question is a bit weird. Hopefully someone here understands what I mean.

Firstly, I play music on Jriver (file is decoded into memory after clicking). I had my entire music library stored on the laptop. I moved it to an external nVME and now I'm playing songs from there instead of keeping it on internal storage.

Am I correct in my assessment - would this will enhance the life expectancy of the drive? The rest of the drive is full of documents and some pictures of my audio gear, myself, and a few family pictures.

In total (including the operating system, I am now only using 130 GB of 463 GB.

I noticed lower temperatures on the internal storage after this on CrystalDiskInfo. Is this an ideal practice or should I just move all the songs back?

Jul 6, 2022
  1. Solid State drives do indeed have a "limited" number of write cycles
  2. This number is HUGE
This drive will likely last your next 3 laptops, internally or externally.

Your use seems to be mostly read operations? That has no real effect on drive lifespan.

Thank you for the insight! I wasn't really sure.

....................I had my entire music library stored on the laptop. I moved it to an external nVME and now I'm playing songs from there instead of keeping it on internal storage.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,would this will enhance the life expectancy of the drive? The rest of the drive is full of documents and some pictures of my audio gear, myself, and a few family pictures.

Is this an ideal practice or should I just move all the songs back?

Ideal practice would be to have a minimum of 2 copies of everything....music library, documents, and pictures...on a minimum of 2 distinct drives.

In that way, you would be largely indifferent to the failure of any drive.

Maybe you already have 3 or 4 copies of everything. Don't know.

Reactions: Dillon9201