Question Nvme throttling performance?

Rozzdog

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2013
Hi, I recently installed a second 2tb Nvme drive for gaming storage, and have had some obvious issues since installing some games on it.
Forza Horizon 5 had some very obvious hitches which really jolted you out of the game, and Horizon Zero Dawn was even more severely gimped. It would not go over around 55fps at 4k ultra, even with DLSS dipped all the way to down to performance mode. It was almost like it had a frame cap. In-game benchmarks seemed to show it was the CPU frames that caused the problem, seemingly showing a severe bottleneck.
When both games are moved back to my SSD, Forza is buttery smooth, and Horizon ZD shoots up to a pretty stable 111fps at ultra.
The Nvme in question is showing it is in the faster lane in WD dashboard and all other health checks seem OK, also, not all games are affected in this way, it is probably also worth pointing out that I'm using Windows 11.
My specs,
Asus Z390- P, Intel i5 9600KF @4.9GHZ, Aorus RTX 3080 XTREME, PNY XLR8 32GB 3200Mhz DDR4 (2 x 16GB), WD SN550 M.2 Pcie 1TB & 2TB, Crucial MX500 2TB SSD, Corsair RM1000i, Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4, Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh RGB