[SOLVED] NVMe to pci question

57bel

Reputable
Mar 7, 2018
Hello friends,
I have 2 WDS100T2BOC (Western Digital 1TB Blue SN550 NVMe Internal SSD Gen3 x4 PCIe 8GB/s, M.2 2280, 3D NAND) and am trying to install them in PCI ports on an ASRock x370 taichi. I currently have 2 M.2 drives installed in the ports on the mother board, and 1 GPU installed. I should still have 2 open pci 3.0 ports fully available so I figured I could plug them in.I bought a ASUS hyper m.2 x16 v 2, but sadly I was misinformed about my boards bifurcation. I am wondering if anyone knows of any adapters for these drives that would fit in the 2 available PCIe 3.0 ports. I believe any card that holds a single drive should work fine, but I am brand new to this m.2 arena. A lot of reviews are hit and miss and according to the mobo manual the 2 drives already take up the 2 smaller pcie slots (1 and 4 sorry I don't know the name for the smaller pcie slots) but have 2 available large ones. Any and all input is welcome. If anyone could also explain the difference between an NVMe drive and a M.2 NVMe drive that would be appreciated.
Take care,
57bel

P.S. Other Specs are Ryzen 1700x, 1080 TI

Solution
NVME drives can be PCIE card SSD's or M2 slot SSD's

You only have PCIE2 x1 slots open on that PC unless you want to drop to x8 mode on your GPU (this depends on which processor you have) - IMO return the NVME drives and grab Sata SSD's ($80+ /TB (1Tb 860evos currently on sale for $80 at Bestbuy)

Other options are to upgrade your system ($ varies depends on what you have) , purchase an NVME raid controller ($300+) or purchase USB 3.1 NVME adapter and run your drives externally (~$30+ each, I think ones based on the RTL9210 chip are currently the best)

popatim

Titan
NVME drives can be PCIE card SSD's or M2 slot SSD's

You only have PCIE2 x1 slots open on that PC unless you want to drop to x8 mode on your GPU (this depends on which processor you have) - IMO return the NVME drives and grab Sata SSD's ($80+ /TB (1Tb 860evos currently on sale for $80 at Bestbuy)

Other options are to upgrade your system ($ varies depends on what you have) , purchase an NVME raid controller ($300+) or purchase USB 3.1 NVME adapter and run your drives externally (~$30+ each, I think ones based on the RTL9210 chip are currently the best)

Solution