[SOLVED] Nvme vs Sata 3

max_hfr

Prominent
Oct 9, 2017
Hi guys,
I havec a boring question. I don’t know if i should abuy an nvme or a sata 3 ssd/m.2 drive.
There are many threads about it but most of them are 2 years old. Prices have decreased a lot and I don’t know if this is the right time to move to an nvme.

I am mainly gaming on my computer and i have the choice between a 860 evo 1tb (sata III) or a 960 500gb(nvme). {same price}

Which one would you buy?

Thanks in advance

Solution
If you want raw gaming performance no game will offer noticeable performance with either sata 3 or nvme. If you want general system speed and better game load time, PCI-E based m.2/nvme drives are much faster. A lot of them can be up to 10 times faster in general numbers. In day to day usage you'll not see that much of a difference unless you move big files around. App start time will also be better. I have sata 3 ssd in my desktop and a pci-e ssd in my macbook. I noticed a big difference only on some big programs with lots of moving parts, the rest of the system feels mostly the same. TLDR: for gaming go for the cheaper sata one.

ShadowPrimeOne

Reputable
Apr 1, 2015
If you want raw gaming performance no game will offer noticeable performance with either sata 3 or nvme. If you want general system speed and better game load time, PCI-E based m.2/nvme drives are much faster. A lot of them can be up to 10 times faster in general numbers. In day to day usage you'll not see that much of a difference unless you move big files around. App start time will also be better. I have sata 3 ssd in my desktop and a pci-e ssd in my macbook. I noticed a big difference only on some big programs with lots of moving parts, the rest of the system feels mostly the same. TLDR: for gaming go for the cheaper sata one.

Solution