Question NVME with windows isn't visible unless 2nd NVME is present in the PC

Feb 5, 2023
Basically, as the title says, my main NVME, Samsung 980 pro 2TB which has my windows on it, doesn't boot windows up unless my 2nd NVME, Samsung 970 plus 1TB is also in and working because it thinks the windows is on the 970. Whenever I take 1 of them out or put a new NVME in it just can't boot and puts me into bios or if I just keep the 970 in there alone it just boots with the windows recovery. I have a ASUS ROG bios (There is no boot option in bios to force boot from any drive)

Last edited:
Feb 5, 2023
Did you install Windows with both installed? EFI partition is probably on the second SSD
The 2nd SSD has a GPT partition style, and I used to have windows installed on both, but I moved it to the main one that I use now and I've installed a new windows twice on it, so I doubt its something with windows itself

JeffreyP55

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2015
The 2nd SSD has a GPT partition style, and I used to have windows installed on both, but I moved it to the main one that I use now and I've installed a new windows twice on it, so I doubt its something with windows itself
Please remove the old boot drive from your system. Reinstall Windows on the new boot drive. The old drive has parts of the new windows installed. Format the old drive or burn it. :)

Here's what MS does and has done since at least XP. If you have two or more drives installed. Even though you format and choose only one drive to install Windows. It'll toss the bootloader onto the second drive.

I have no idea why they decided to do this. Did it save a couple seconds in the XP days to boot? Perhaps it goes back to earlier NT kernels. Anyways, if you don't want this to happen. Only have the intended boot disk connected during the time of install. After Windows is installed. You can add all the drives you want.

Maybe this goes further back. I just didn't have more than one drive to notice this behavior until the XP days.

There are ways to move the boot partition. Although it might be a mess. I've never fussed with it and just reinstalled when I realized I forgot to disconnect all drives but one.

TRENDING THREADS