[SOLVED] NZXT CAM software won't see fan HUB??

May 28, 2020
Hey guys,

So long story short my CAM only sees the cooler's pump. When I'm gaming GPU heavy games cpu stays chilly so case fans are on low but GPU gets toasty up to 90C when I'm OC. If I can get CAM to see the fan I can create synchronized profiles so when I'm gaming the fan curve is set for my GPU. However, I'm using a fan HUB and CAM won't see it as a mobo fan header. Tried using fans as individually connected to separate fan headers, still won't work. DC or PWM won't make a difference. Mobo is z270 a pro.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01G9BEC5W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B082DYR132/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Solution
A HUB connected to any mobo fan header will only appear to be ONE fan - the mobo has no way of knowing you are using a Hub. This also will report the speed of only ONE of the fans on the Hub; further, the Hub has only ONE output port that can report its fan speed, so you MUST plug one of those case fans into the specially marked Hub port for that or it will report NO fan speed. CAM relies on the mobo headers to let you see their fans.

Then we get to temp sensors. Control of the speed of the pump or any fans connected to the CPU_FAN or CPU_OPT headers is based on a temperature sensor inside the CPU chip. But for the four SYS_FAN headers, control is based on a different sensor on the mobo. So you should always connect your case...

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
A HUB connected to any mobo fan header will only appear to be ONE fan - the mobo has no way of knowing you are using a Hub. This also will report the speed of only ONE of the fans on the Hub; further, the Hub has only ONE output port that can report its fan speed, so you MUST plug one of those case fans into the specially marked Hub port for that or it will report NO fan speed. CAM relies on the mobo headers to let you see their fans.

Then we get to temp sensors. Control of the speed of the pump or any fans connected to the CPU_FAN or CPU_OPT headers is based on a temperature sensor inside the CPU chip. But for the four SYS_FAN headers, control is based on a different sensor on the mobo. So you should always connect your case ventilation fans (including those done through the Hub) to a SYS_FAN header.

Still that does not control those fans according to a GPU chip temperature. That is because there is no standard way to communicate a temperature on a video card to the mobo. The closest you will ever get to making the case fans respond to the GPU temperature is to let those fans be guided by the sensor on the mobo via a SYS_FAN header. You may be able to create a custom "fan curve" for the SYS_FAN header that controls the fans on your Hub so that it runs them faster at lower mobo sensor temperatures, but that's about as good as you can get.

Solution