Nzxt fan connectors

jsmedley96

Prominent
Feb 6, 2018
Hi I'm building my first pc and Ive found out that the case fans I have are 3 pin while the fan headers on my nzxt n7 mobo are 4 pin. How do I go about connecting them or do I have to buy an adapter or nzxt branded fans? Thanks for any help.

Solution
Two of the pins on your 3-pin fans are voltage and ground. They provide the power to run the fans - the voltage is varied to control the speed. The 3rd pin is a tach or rotation pulse that goes from the fan to the MB to report speed. The 4th pin (if your ever have a 4pin fan) is for PWM or pulse width modulation which can control the speed more accurately by controlling the duration of the voltage pulse which will 'kick' the fan faster or let it slow a little between pulses. Both styles will work fine.

You can plug the 3pin into a 4pin MB plug by aligning the guides on the plug with the 4pin guide. It will only go on one way.

ehmkec

Reputable
Aug 31, 2017
Two of the pins on your 3-pin fans are voltage and ground. They provide the power to run the fans - the voltage is varied to control the speed. The 3rd pin is a tach or rotation pulse that goes from the fan to the MB to report speed. The 4th pin (if your ever have a 4pin fan) is for PWM or pulse width modulation which can control the speed more accurately by controlling the duration of the voltage pulse which will 'kick' the fan faster or let it slow a little between pulses. Both styles will work fine.

You can plug the 3pin into a 4pin MB plug by aligning the guides on the plug with the 4pin guide. It will only go on one way.

Solution