NZXT G12 RX 480 ASUS STRIX fan not working plus Artcic Liquid Freezer fits! sort of!

explainitlikeimanidiot

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Question and statement in one thread if that's ok?

I have installed a G12 on an ASUS RX 480 Strix and to be fair, it was quite painless.
I had to remove the metal plate on the Vram (covers some, not all anyway) and the plugs for the fan and led on the fan shroud were an absolute pig to depluggerise!
Otherwise a pretty easy install.
I bought an Arctic Liquid Freezer 120 on a very good deal and hoped it would work with the g12.
On the face of it, it does not fit, however, I descrewerized the 4 screws to the plastic on the rim of the cold plate and eased the shroud back and fitted the G12 frame then rescrewerized. Simple and easy.
Temps on Heaven have dropped from early to mid 70's to mid 40's. pretty good, but the noise.......... it's silent! I have the fans running 50% and cannot hear the fans or the pump. Just lovely.
Well almost. VRM temps on the Strix cooler have run at 3-4 degrees higher than core and I had been getting a peak 85 degrees with 43 degrees on the core with the G12/Arctic.
Turns out the fan on the G12 is not spinning. I had a splitter on the mother board connecting the NZXT G12 fan and the Noctua nf-s12b redux on the side case. The Noctua was spinning but the NZXT was not.
I have swapped the connections over and same thing. I unpluggerized the splitter and plugged the Noctua directly to the motherboard and it ran. I unpluggerized the Noctua and plugged in the NZXT and it tried to move on startup but would not spin. I repeated and got the same. Little jerk on power up but no spin.
Can I assume the fan is dead? If I get another 92mm Noctua, Is it ok to split a 120 and 92?

Down side to fitting NZXT G12? if the fan is dead, you have to dismantle the cooler to change it. Would have been nice to only have to remove the gpu from the PCIE and swap out.
On the whole, recommended set up and pretty painless install.
9kqi5c.jpg

2csho5z.jpg

17q25c.jpg

have you tried the different connectors on the splitter ? or even better other splitter ?
have you tried to set the fan speed of that header to 100% ?
the thing is that noctua fans can start at very low speeds and generally require very little power. other fans can behave differently. make sure that both fans connected to the splitter are of the same type (PWM/DC - 4/3 pin respectively).
there is no problem mixing fans of different size, just make sure that they are the same type. and they might spin at different speeds.

explainitlikeimanidiot

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Pinged an email to see if I can get a replacement fan. If I have to disassemble the thing to change the fan, that's not as bad as stripping down, boxing up, posting and waiting for a replacement.

Dropped voltage to get a before and after guage on temps and getting 34 deg core in DAI with 57 deg VRM. Previously I was getting 56 deg core and 59 deg VRM. Pretty sure working fan would make VRMS well acceptable.

I have also noticed the M.2 has dropped 4 degrees to 34, HDD has dropped 2 degrees to 36 and the ram has dropped 6.5 degrees to 32.5 (all max from HWINFO)
CPU has stayed pretty much the same @ 42 degrees max

Will try Mass Effect Andromeda when I get a working VRM fan. That game would get the gpu to 77 degrees and CPU to low 50's

explainitlikeimanidiot

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Just an update on temps.
I was offered RMA but couldn't bear the thought of a full strip down and reassemble of Direct CU cooler and the go through fitting all over again, so I bought a Be Quiet Pure Wings 2 92mm fan and replaced the NZXT one.
Max VRM temp on 40 minutes of Heaven has dropped from 85 deg (no fan) to 58 deg (fan on 60%)
DA Inquisition now runs 34 core max and 44 VRM max CPU 42 max
Before G12 it ran core 61-62 max and VRM 65 max
Measured with HWInfo.
Voltage is set at 1080mv and power +10, which is what I ran the card at before G12.
I ran Firestrike stress test and got 45 core max, 63 VRM max
Mass Effect Andromeda 43 core max, 57 VRM max, 47 CPU max .
These are all max temps. Averages are a few degrees lower.

TRENDING THREADS