Question NZXT H1 PSU, coil whine or dying

Mar 5, 2023
View: https://youtu.be/RauY3Nv_xVw

On the video, there is my NZXT H1 with strange noise coming form PSU, but it's happening only sometimes, at boot, while idleing at windows.

But overall I didn't noticed any instability, (only random black screen in Warzone 2.0, but more likely it can be their issue, cuz no issues in other games) even while stress testing.

My 5600X has no VSS pin next to the gold triangle under the CPU. But works ish...

I noticed also, that when this happening "coil whine or sparking" my unused second monitor just starting up for a few sec, and going back to sleep again.

Can lack of VSS pin, causing PSU some issues ?

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:

Since you've stated the case to be the H1, what did you stuff inside that barebones case?

Take the side panel off, then roll an A4 sheet of paper into a cylinder and use that to probe for the source of the noise. I can hear it faintly but the bird chirping in the back is more pronounced than the coil whine you speak of.

My 5600X has no VSS pin next to the gold triangle under the CPU. But works ish...
Was the CPU dropped at some point or pins broken off by mistake?

Reactions: Inver_ShaRingan
Mar 5, 2023
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:

Since you've stated the case to be the H1, what did you stuff inside that barebones case?

Take the side panel off, then roll an A4 sheet of paper into a cylinder and use that to probe for the source of the noise. I can hear it faintly but the bird chirping in the back is more pronounced than the coil whine you speak of.

Was the CPU dropped at some point or pins broken off by mistake?

The thread can be closed, as the main problem was melted PSU power Cord, the fuse was all rusty and old, and started melting itself, and PSU was trying to protect himself, and other components. But after using original one from this Case, problem gone, and PSU runs way cooler, and no any sparking noise etc, even while few hours of stress testing (also new power cord was not even a bit warm).

If you can aswer me, why this old power cord/fuse, started melting itself and sending some issues to PSU, then I could be glad to know that. Can be that it was old ?

The thread can be closed, as the main problem was melted PSU power Cord, the fuse was all rusty and old, and started melting itself, and PSU was trying to protect himself, and other components. But after using original one from this Case, problem gone, and PSU runs way cooler, and no any sparking noise etc, even while few hours of stress testing (also new power cord was not even a bit warm).

If you can aswer me, why this old power cord/fuse, started melting itself and sending some issues to PSU, then I could be glad to know that. Can be that it was old ?
Overheating of power cord is from bad contact either a loose connection or in your case most likely rusty fuse which reduces the clean contact area that the current has to go through.

TRENDING THREADS