NZXT H440: Cooling with Fans

sierraNfoxtrot

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014
I am looking into cases for my first gaming build. All that's left now is the case, as I have bought everything else, so I am only seeking feedback on the case.

These are my current parts:

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core
Motherboard: Asus M5A78L-M/USB3 Micro ATX AM3+
Memory: RipjawsX Series 8GB PC3-12800 Dual Channel DDR3 Kit (2 x 4GB)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
VideoCard: Gigabyte Radeon R9 270X 4GB WINDFORCE
Power Supply: EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Keyboard: Logitech K400 w/Touchpad

I am looking at buying the NZXT H440. The second I saw it I fell in love with the design and I haven’t been able to distract my attention with any other case. I adore it’s simplistic look, clean white color and huge window.

My question is about cooling the NZXT H440. I am wondering if this case can be cooled sufficiently by fans only? I am not interested in liquid cooling at this time, so it’s important to me that the machine functions adequately on fans alone. I will not be over-clocking if that matters. I also live in Canada, and this system will be in the basement, so the room temperature never gets over 68F (if that matters at all lol, I don’t know if it does).

I’d also like to hear from anyone who owns the case about their impressions and experiences with it!

Thanks guys!

Solution
The NZXT H440 is not the best air cooled case. However, it is optimized for silence. It has similar cooling performance as the 750D from corsair. With the NZXT H440 you get triple 120mm fans in the front and one 140mm in the rear, its very nice to see that nzxt utilises these fan mounting options. I dont think you will get crazy low temperatures , but its nothing to concern about. I like the clean look from the NZXT H440 too, its one of the better design's out there (in my opinion). You like the look of the case, the case has great features and is silent. You say you're not going to overclock, then dont hesitate buying this case. With overclocking you (most of the time) have to push the voltage higher, wich results in higher...

VincentiusIV

Honorable
Jan 17, 2014
The NZXT H440 is not the best air cooled case. However, it is optimized for silence. It has similar cooling performance as the 750D from corsair. With the NZXT H440 you get triple 120mm fans in the front and one 140mm in the rear, its very nice to see that nzxt utilises these fan mounting options. I dont think you will get crazy low temperatures , but its nothing to concern about. I like the clean look from the NZXT H440 too, its one of the better design's out there (in my opinion). You like the look of the case, the case has great features and is silent. You say you're not going to overclock, then dont hesitate buying this case. With overclocking you (most of the time) have to push the voltage higher, wich results in higher temperatures. And yes the room temperature does matter. The cooler the room, the cooler the components. 68 Fahrenheit as a maximum room temperature is actually pretty low, and realy good. Hope this solved your question.

Solution

sierraNfoxtrot

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

Yes I am aware of this. At first I was very disappointed until I really thought about it. I'm only ever going to use physical media for the OS and maybe one or two games (if I splurge on a collectors addition instead of just downloading off steam). I already have an external driver and am willing to therefore sacrifice the bays in order to have a drop dead gorgeous case.

You also need good cable management as behind the case it is very thin so the cables need to be flat or small in diameter

sierraNfoxtrot

Reputable
Jul 16, 2014

That is good to know, thank you. Would you say this is a negative about the case or just something to keep in mind? I myself will not be putting the computer together, i've entrusted one of my friends who does it quite often with that task as I know nothing! I'll sit and play with the fans while I watch ;)

It's kind of a con because it has less space for cable managing but the reason it's so thin is because it has noise dampening foam, so it's like a 50/50, it might only be slight trouble if you want really clean cable management but apart from that, there really isn't anything else bad about it, really good for its price but I'm more of a Corsair 450D guy :p