Nzxt H440 Fan Configuration Advice/Help Needed!

Ellioot

Reputable
Aug 3, 2016
Hello, I need some advice on my fan configuration for the best airflow. I currently have 5 fans installed, this diagram should help!

12IpURQ.png

I have some concerns!

Firstly, should I switch the two top intake fans to exhaust as this would mean more hot air is being forced out as warm air rises!

Secondly with my x41 being on the top front side of the H440, this prevents two intake fans from being installed from the front, so should i switch the fan and the rad around ( would this allow me to fit two more fans)

Lastly, my one intake fan at the bottom front could be upgraded to a 140mm fan so should i invest in a very good fan (noctua, etc) and will this be enough intake cold air to keep my pc warm. With my current setup, idle cpu is 35c and gpu 50c but im looking to improve before I go to university. Any suggestions on fans and configuarion is really appreciated! Thanks

Solution
Ah, sorry - I misread. Thought you had a 240mm Rad in there.

Looking back over it, I would actually look to move your Rad (unless you cannot get the orientation for some reason).

Some options, but you'd have to test to determine which work best.
1. 3x 120mm intake at front. 140mm exhaust at rear. X41 mounted to the top as exhaust.

2. 3x 120mm intake at front. X41 mounted to rear as exhuast. 1x 140mm top exhaust.

I would think "1" would be the best option, but play around with the config.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
What are your full system specs, and what are your load temperatures ?

Idle doesn't mean much.

You already have intake through the Rad (although technically warmer than ambient because of it) + the additional 120mm.
I'd be inclined to flip the top two to exhaust (as you mentioned, hot air rises).

At things stand, you have a single 140mm doing all the work of exhausting the air.... which is quite an ask.

Ellioot

Reputable
Aug 3, 2016

Ahh my apologies! Current specs are;

CPU: i5 4690k
GPU: Gtx 960
RAM: Hyper X Fury 8gb corsair DDR3
SSD: Hyper X Fury 120gb
HDD: Seagate 1TB HDD

If i was to flip the top fans to exhaust would you suggest getting replacing the 120mm front fan for a 140mm?

Ellioot

Reputable
Aug 3, 2016

Yeah that's what I'd like, but with the rad in the way i can only have 2x 120mm in the front, is there any use of using the top 3rd slot as intake? I don't think personally will do a lot! So at the moment i'm looking at 2x120 intakes, 1x140 exhaust and 2x120 exhaust, any options on how i can fit that one last 120 in?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Ah, sorry - I misread. Thought you had a 240mm Rad in there.

Looking back over it, I would actually look to move your Rad (unless you cannot get the orientation for some reason).

Some options, but you'd have to test to determine which work best.
1. 3x 120mm intake at front. 140mm exhaust at rear. X41 mounted to the top as exhaust.

2. 3x 120mm intake at front. X41 mounted to rear as exhuast. 1x 140mm top exhaust.

I would think "1" would be the best option, but play around with the config.

Solution