Question NZXT H7 Elite fan control

Apr 5, 2023
I bought the NZXT H7 Elite PC case and it comes with 3 front fans and 1 back fan installed.
They are all plugged into the fan controller that comes with the case.
The problem I have is that during startup of the PC the fans will spin 100% untill windows is loaded and the fan controller software is loaded(NZXT CAM). Then the fans will return to normal and follow the fancurve that is selected.
Is there a way to stop the fans from going to 100% during startup? It's extremely annoying.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The issue is with the controller, that it's USB driven and needs to see NZXT's CAM app to be managed. If you had the fans hooked to a fan hub(if the fans are PWM, then a PWM fan hub. If they're 3 pin then a 3pin fan splitter) will resolve the issue of your fans running at full blast.

Apr 5, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

The issue is with the controller, that it's USB driven and needs to see NZXT's CAM app to be managed. If you had the fans hooked to a fan hub(if the fans are PWM, then a PWM fan hub. If they're 3 pin then a 3pin fan splitter) will resolve the issue of your fans running at full blast.
I guess I will have to plug them in straight to the motherboard.
Right now with the fans blowing 100% during boot or in the bios is unacceptable for me.
Thanks for you're response.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You are objecting to a NORMAL design practice!

If you have a fan running and send it signals to slow down it will. But if you keep sending it even slower signals, eventually it will STALL because its electrical feed cannot overcome friction in the fan motor bearings. If the signals are not changed, that motor will remain stalled with a small current flowing through its windings and heating them up, but for no useful purpose. ONE of the things any normal fan header on a mobo will do is monitor the fan SPEED signal sent back to it from the motor. IF that signal indicates NO speed (or, in a few mobos, speed below a set minimum limit) the header will send to the motor a set of signals for FULL SPEED to re-start it. If that works, the header will then return to sending the slow-speed signal it needs for the temperature its sensor reports. In most cases this works to solve the problem. Sometimes, though, the original stall happens because the configuration of the mobo header is set to send to that motor a minimum speed signal that is too low and WILL cause the fan to stall again, so the whole process will repeat.

At START-UP the header does another trick to PREVENT a failure to start. IF the signals sent to the fan were for a very slow speed from the beginning, it is likely that the speed signals would be so slow that the fan would never start. It would be a stalled fan requiring further action. So the normal process is that ALL fans start up at FULL speed on every boot-up. After a few seconds as the POST process completes, each fan header then goes to a normal mode of sending out a speed control signal for the cooling requirements reported by its temperature sensor.

Changing where your fans are plugged in will NOT avoid this full-speed start process. What annoys you is the guarantee that all your fans WILL start up and do their job. If you were to rig some way to avoid that, you might NOT get fans cooling your system.

Apr 5, 2023
You are objecting to a NORMAL design practice!

If you have a fan running and send it signals to slow down it will. But if you keep sending it even slower signals, eventually it will STALL because its electrical feed cannot overcome friction in the fan motor bearings. If the signals are not changed, that motor will remain stalled with a small current flowing through its windings and heating them up, but for no useful purpose. ONE of the things any normal fan header on a mobo will do is monitor the fan SPEED signal sent back to it from the motor. IF that signal indicates NO speed (or, in a few mobos, speed below a set minimum limit) the header will send to the motor a set of signals for FULL SPEED to re-start it. If that works, the header will then return to sending the slow-speed signal it needs for the temperature its sensor reports. In most cases this works to solve the problem. Sometimes, though, the original stall happens because the configuration of the mobo header is set to send to that motor a minimum speed signal that is too low and WILL cause the fan to stall again, so the whole process will repeat.

At START-UP the header does another trick to PREVENT a failure to start. IF the signals sent to the fan were for a very slow speed from the beginning, it is likely that the speed signals would be so slow that the fan would never start. It would be a stalled fan requiring further action. So the normal process is that ALL fans start up at FULL speed on every boot-up. After a few seconds as the POST process completes, each fan header then goes to a normal mode of sending out a speed control signal for the cooling requirements reported by its temperature sensor.

Changing where your fans are plugged in will NOT avoid this full-speed start process. What annoys you is the guarantee that all your fans WILL start up and do their job. If you were to rig some way to avoid that, you might NOT get fans cooling your system.

I have had a couple of pc's and none of them keep blasting 100% until windows is loaded. Except the radiator fans that are connected to the motherboard.
Normally after bios boot the fan's return to normal speed. That doesn't happen now because of the fan/rgb controller needs the software loaded.
That's why plugging the fan's to the motherboard should be better for me. Not looking forward to it with all the cables and such.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
OK, I see where I misunderstood you post. The period of initial high speed is too long for you solely because it takes that long for Windows to load and then to load and start the CAM utility. To avoid that delay, YES, you can connect those case vent fans directly to mobo SYS_FAN or CHA_FAN headers so they are controlled by the mobo BIOS.

NOTE, as Lutfij pointed out above, that the device you need for this may be different, depending on whether the fans are 3-pin or 4-pin. You may use a SPLITTER with either fan design, BUT you must then adhere to the max current limit of the mobo header - normally, 1.0 A max total current to all fans on EACH header. IF your fans all are 4-pin, instead you can use a HUB that gets fan power direct from the PSU and avoids that current limit. If you need more details, post back here.

TRENDING THREADS