NZXT Introduces HUE+ Software-Controlled RGB LED Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

McWhiskey

Reputable
Sep 23, 2015
I'm clearly not the target market for this product. I do really like the idea of contextual color change though. one strip subtly placed in a bezel on the front panel could be very classy.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Im trying my best not to laugh here. NZXT is once again playing catch up. I spoke up about this before and it rolled right under the carpet. NZXT will never be anywhere next to Corsair lighting and fan controls hardware until 2020. The had the ability to do this from the start by watching Corsair and building upon what they started not reinventing the wheel by starting off with knobs and dials.

All of this could have been implemented into one system years ago

Corsair Commander Mini for the same price already has better lighting options and size. Although I have a NZXT H440 Blue/Black I cannot see myself using NZXT add-on

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

The HUE+ and the Commander Mini aren't remotely the same product.

the commander mini does temp, fan control and 1 LED light strip.

the HUE+ does no fans, no temperature, 8 light strips with 2 different lighting channels.

you can't even compare these products. they are made for totally different purposes.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

The HUE+ and the Commander Mini aren't remotely the same product.

the commander mini does temp, fan control and 1 LED light strip.

the HUE+ does no fans, no temperature, 8 light strips with 2 different lighting channels.

you can't even compare these products. they are made for totally different purposes.

You miss the point I was trying to make. Corsair already had all this crap on the market as individual modules years ago that NZXT is putting out now (reinventing the wheel). NZXT had years to look at what Corsair was doing and bypass all the mistakes Corsair made and go straight to software controlled lighting and cooling.

Over the years Corsair discovered that most customers will only use 1 colour inside their rig so why sell a separate product for each when they can combine the minimum of what the average customer wants and sell them a more complete package.

Think about it:

Corsair Commander Mini = $59.99. 4 Temp channels, 6 individual fan controls, 1 LED RGB connection
Corsair Link RGB LED Lighting Kit = 14.99. 18 LEDs and 2x12" extension cables

NZXT GRID+ V2 = 29.99 6 individual fan controls
NZXT HUE+ = $59.99 2 LED channels, 4 LED strips, and 4 extension cables 1x500mm, 1x300mm, 2x100mm

NZXT Grid / NZXT Grid+ = Corsair Cooling Node
NZXT HUE / NZXT HUE+ = Corsair Lighting Node "http://www.corsair.com/en-us/corsair-link-lightning-node"

What have NZXT done over the years besides push the no external front bay on cases trend (which I love them for as I hug my black/blue H440)?

They released Sleeved LED strips and Sentry fan controllers all which required manual operation. (I owned both of these)

Then they decided to release the HUE which was great because it did RGB but it required a 5.25 slot and still customers had to fiddle with buttons and knobs.

After, they released the GRID, a fan controller that only accepted 3 pin fans and all fans were controlled by the same speed.

They then got the bright idea to release a GRID+ which not only had the same flaw of only accepting 3 pin fans like the previous model, it did the same crap of only having a single fan curve, but on the bright side it linked with the Cam software.

So then they release the GRID+ V2 and finally it accepts 4 pin fans, and each fan has it own curve, but it still uses a barrel plug for power instead of a Molex or SATA power connection.

Now they decide to release a lighting module that cost and astounding $59.99 and all it does is lighting?!! I understand that each strip on the 2 channels can do different colours at the same time but still $59.99 just for lighting?

Here is the kicker, ALL of these NZXT CAM compatible products require an internal USB 2.0 connection. Have anyone looked at motherboards recently? They only come with 2 internal 2.0 headers. So the normal person will of course hook up their front IO USB ports so what gets the remaining USB port? The HUE+? The GRID+? The Kraken Cooler? Nope, time to spend another $20 on a NZXT IU01 USB Expansion.

Corsair has already figured out how to make their power supplies, CPU coolers, fan controllers, and lighting controls talk to each other while only using 1 USB 2.0 header, although on their latest GT and GTX coolers they took a huge step backwards by removing this connection.

Jesse_7

Reputable
Oct 10, 2015
59.99$ doesn't seem unreasonable considering it comes with 4 LED strips. I know enthusiasts including myself that spent more when it came to aesthetics. I rather like this module. Can control each indavidual LED on the strip, range of colors which is a huge bonus because I like variety. Usually flick between white, red and purple and now, along with my naga epic and my G510 256 RGB keyboard, I can change everything on the fly for a single cost, rather than alter my cathodes/led strips every year or so. Also, since I hate too much front bay objects, the lack there of is even better. USB 2.0, I can simply wire that to the back of my case, out of sight and mind. Already pre-ordered this with my mileage bonus. :D

KaiserPhantasma

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2013
finally a revamped version of the HUE been waiting on this for like 2 years =D hopefully they have better adhesives taped to the back of the LEDs this time around

A really good design would require no USB headers. A really good design would allow for automatic control of the fans / temps without any knobs or other software but instead using the utility software that comes with the MoBo.. Phanteks provides this functionality in all their cases and provides LED control for both exterior and interior LEDs for their Luxe case. Now if you want pulsing, rotating colors and other blingy stuff, then no I don't see case manufacturers going there with "standard equipment" as the the added expense is much more significant than the potential market ... this is a small niche that aftermarket / accessory product manufacturers are wise to address.

Personally, I believe that the purpose of lighting is to highlight your components, not distract from them. If you want peeps eyes to be drawn to the lighting instead of your build, then these products are for you. However, like bright red cases, over time these tend to wear on the eyes a bit.

All three of my kids blinged up their rigs at one point with hand sleeved UV cables, and fancy lighting effects. The two older ones say they turned it off as it was a distraction when trying to do homework or concentrate on a game. When I asked the youngest (the sarcastic one) why he doesn't use his anymore, he answered "Dad, I don't listen to Britney Spears anymore either." Not suggesting that these effects "are just for kids" but that our tastes change over time, things "get old", and we just get tired of them.

BTW, you can also do this all yourself. A 5 meter strip of RGB LEDs on Amazon is about $10 w/ shipping from China. Controllers w/ hand held remotes (Static/Flash/Strobe/Fade-change/RGB Smooth-change.) are about $7.

Status
Not open for further replies.