Question NZXT Kraken 240 Elite AIO will not fit in mini ITX build

Sep 16, 2023
Dear Community,

I hope this message finds you well. I am encountering a compatibility issue with the new AIO i am trying to install and would greatly appreciate your insights and recommendations. Here is a detailed breakdown of my components:

• CPU: Intel Core i9-13900K
  • GPU: NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
  • Case: Razer Tomahawk Mini ITX
  • Motherboard: ASUS ROG Z690-I WiFi Gaming
  • AIO Cooler: NZXT Kraken Elite 240 (upgrading from the standard NZXT Kraken 240)
Having a bit of a puzzle with the AIO block – if I position the tubes towards the RAM, it won't fit unless I sacrifice my precious 1st RAM stick, which totally defeats the purpose. Now, if I redirect the tubes towards the NVMe cage, which conveniently has 2 M.2 slots, I can make it work by removing the top layer and cover. The catch? The BIOS does NOT see the drive if it is in the bottom layer and the top layer not connected to it (Top Layer: Picture 1), and I can't fit back the Top Layer because of the AIO tubes. I could technically just remove my NVME and use some slow SSD, but that also totally defeats the purpose of buying this Samsung 990 Pro 2TB.

Thinking a more hands-on fix: removing the top heatsink from the motherboard itself (assuming it's called the VRM heatsink) and cutting it to make room. What are your thoughts on this? Any alternative suggestions before I dive into some motherboard surgery? Unfortunately, returning the AIO or the motherboard is off the table – it's an 800 km journey and not in the cards.

Keen to hear your opinions!

Cheers,

ZVEIKPu.jpeg

e7dTTZs.jpeg

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hello,
I could technically just remove my NVME and use some slow SSD, but that also totally defeats the purpose of buying this Samsung 990 Pro 2TB.
I believe that would be the most practical solution here.
Slow SSD? Depending on the application(s), the difference between M.2 and SATA SSDs, may not be noticeable.
If you're regularly doing large file transfers, videos or high-end photo editing, transcoding, or compression/decompression, M.2s have an edge. If you're not doing that - or maybe you are, but not on the regular, then an M.2 isn't a must buy.

Plus: If a mobo has a M.2 slot above the gpu, it's not a great location for a Gen 4 or higher drive. It's a heat zone that causes the SSD's controller to throttle more frequently. It wasn't AS big a deal with Gen 3, 'cause those controllers' operating temperatures were lower.

Sep 16, 2023
Hello,

I believe that would be the most practical solution here.
Slow SSD? Depending on the application(s), the difference between M.2 and SATA SSDs, may not be noticeable.
If you're regularly doing large file transfers, videos or high-end photo editing, transcoding, or compression/decompression, M.2s have an edge. If you're not doing that - or maybe you are, but not on the regular, then an M.2 isn't a must buy.

Plus: If a mobo has a M.2 slot above the gpu, it's not a great location for a Gen 4 or higher drive. It's a heat zone that causes the SSD's controller to throttle more frequently. It wasn't AS big a deal with Gen 3, 'cause those controllers' operating temperatures were lower.
I already have an m2 ssd which has speeds of up to 7k mbps, ssd max speed is 600 mbps, and i already have paid around 200 usd for the m2 ssd, would be a bad idea for me to keep throwing money into the flame, fyi had 5 faulty mobos before having this completely diff issue.

would you not trim the heatsink of the vrm? sounds pretty safe if its done properly, remove the heat sink trim some fins make room and clean it up and put it back on the motherboard.

Your case can install an air cooler up to 165mm high.

Consider the advantages of using a top air cooler like the noctua NH-D15S.
The cooling capability is about the same as a 280 aio cooler.
The airflow from front to back not only cools the cpu but also puts more airflow over the motherboard and m.2 devices as well as supplying cool air for the gpu.

For gaming, the cooling requirements are not so high as you might think:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFgswzTvyc

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
would you not trim the heatsink of the vrm? sounds pretty safe if its done properly, remove the heat sink trim some fins make room and clean it up and put it back on the motherboard.
I've made modifications to a couple cases, swapped out a gpu cooler, delidded a cpu and swapped out the frame that holds the cpu, but not that.
I'd swap drives before cutting up a heatsink.
Reasoning: I'm not going to notice the difference between the 2 kinds of drives, as the PC is just a hobby for me and I'm not doing anything too serious with it... but I would notice the heatsink modification, depending on the quality of the job I did, it may nag at the back of my mind.

It's still your call.

TRENDING THREADS