NZXT Kraken grinding noise from pump

GlamFM

Commendable
May 25, 2016
Hey guys, I get the grinding noise from my pump that is well documented all over the internet.

I know NZXT suggest setting the fan speed to 100% at all times - turns out my motherboard (ASUS z170-p) had this setting by default.

So I guess that´s not it.

Since the issue seems so wide spread I don´t think that my unit is broken because a lot of people were able to fix it.

What could be the problem in my case?

Solution
I'm wondering if it is a language issue. What they are saying that water is forced through an air bubble trapped in the system somewhere. That part makes sense, but the fans have no impact on that, only the pump speed.

I'd try it, but maybe differently.

WHere is your radiator mounted and which side (up/down) is the radiator? I'd see if it might be possible to turn the whole computer in a way that all trapped air might be forced by gravity to flow to the highest part of the loop.

In addition, I'd run it at maximum for a few hours to see if it does force the air out.

You can keep trying a few things as long as you keep an eye on temps and as long as the noise does not get substantially worse. Ultimately you will have to do what...

GlamFM

Commendable
May 25, 2016
This is the reply I got from NZXT. Does this make any sense?

(NZXT)
May 25, 4:38 AM

Hello,

Another step you can try is making a custom fan curve of 5 degrees apart on the custom fan graph let this profile run for a day the grinding noise is airlock within the motor which needs to be pushed out through the radiators fins.

NZXT.

I'm wondering if it is a language issue. What they are saying that water is forced through an air bubble trapped in the system somewhere. That part makes sense, but the fans have no impact on that, only the pump speed.

I'd try it, but maybe differently.

WHere is your radiator mounted and which side (up/down) is the radiator? I'd see if it might be possible to turn the whole computer in a way that all trapped air might be forced by gravity to flow to the highest part of the loop.

In addition, I'd run it at maximum for a few hours to see if it does force the air out.

You can keep trying a few things as long as you keep an eye on temps and as long as the noise does not get substantially worse. Ultimately you will have to do what NZXT says before they will agree to a RMA.

You can also take a long screwdriver, and hold the one end on the metal part of the radiator and your ear to the other part to see if you can hear the noise better and if the noise is indeed in the radiator. BE VERY CAREFUL FOR SLIPPING AND SHORTING OUT A PART!

Solution

GlamFM

Commendable
May 25, 2016
The pump is supposed to be plugged in the CPU_FAN header. By setting CPU fan speed to 100% at all times you make sure that the pump gets all the power it needs.

It still makes this grinding noise.

I will try to follow your advice later today - thanks!