Question NZXT Kraken X53

reforger1974

Reputable
Mar 2, 2018
Is the NZXT Kraken X53 adequate for cooling a Ryzen 9 5900X...??

I just purchased a ready built "instant gaming" system that is going to be a backup to my current DIY build, and the kind of cheezy looking 120mm AIO that comes with this system seems a little on the weak side for anything but web surfing and other light tasks.

I'm not a hardcore gamer, but I do play some fairly demanding Steam games on a regular basis.

The system arrives today and ships with a mid tower ATX case of unknown manufacture, so I won't know what the space limitations/considerations will be until I can pull the side of the case and assess my options. If there's enough room for it i'll probably just get the Noctua NH D-15, which I'm familiar with because I have it cooling the i7 9700k that's in my current build.

Any opinions and/or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Lutfij

Titan
I'd suggest getting at least a 280mm or a 360mm AIO for that processor. You might want to wait and see what the chassis is and what the rest of your specs are. Ideally, you ask first before you pull the trigger on a purchase, not the other way round.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
NH-D15 has clearance issues with taller memory DIMMs, so unless you have low clearance memory, you might have some compatibility issues depending on motherboard layout.

The NH-D15S has clearance for taller memory, so it is an option.

reforger1974

Reputable
Mar 2, 2018
Thanks, I haven't purchased anything cooler wise yet. I knew this ready built system I ordered was going to need better cooling for my purposes than what it comes with, so that's why I posed the questions about cooling options.

A 280mm might fit, but I kind of doubt a 360 would. As I said, ideally I would prefer the Noctua, but it is a large beast so i'll just have to wait and see what will fit in the case. FWIW, this is the system I purchased...

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/Gaming-Instant-Ship-GML-99568

reforger1974

Reputable
Mar 2, 2018
NH-D15 has clearance issues with taller memory DIMMs, so unless you have low clearance memory, you might have some compatibility issues depending on motherboard layout.

The NH-D15S has clearance for taller memory, so it is an option.

Understood, and thanks. I had that same issue with my current build and the NH D-15, so I simply replaced the front fan with a 120mm 2400 rpm Corsair fan, works like a charm and actually keeps my i7 9700k a few degrees cooler than the 140mm Noctua fan did.