NZXT Kraken X62 and reapplying thermal paste

padrepedro

Commendable
Dec 3, 2017
windoh.wordpress.com
Hi,

I've bought the NZXT Kraken X62 and the Intel Core i7-8700K. I've setup everything about 1 month ago. Due to a motherboard issue I have to switch to another motherboard. Because of this I have to disconnect CPU and Kraken X62 from each other before connecting them again on the new motherboard. This means the pre-applied thermal paste will become "free", one part sticking to the CPU and the other part to the Kraken X62 plate.

Is it a good idea to disconnect CPU and Kraken X62, "splitting" the paste and exposing it to the air before connecting them again? I always thought this would create airpockets and/or dry the paste out (or only after a certain while?)?

If it's advised to reapply thermal paste, I would like to know which cleaning fluids (isoprophyl alcohol?) and thermal pastes (liquid metal TIMs, although they give problems with copper I thought? other paste types?) are okay to use, if possible with at least the same quality as the pre-applied paste.

Also, do you have advice related to how often thermal paste should be reapplied with the Kraken X62? Yearly? Every 3 years? Never?
After what time does the pre-applied paste dry out or gets a significant reduction in quality?

Thank you for your help!

Pedro

Solution
Hello. If you have removed the heater block from the cpu then a good idea would be to reapply. There are great aftermarket thermal pastes, I use Noctua NT-H1 never had a single issue had it running for a few years as well.

Isoprophyl alcohol should be your best solution yes. How often you reapply thermal paste depends on your usage although if you want to be pedantic I would recommend no more than 3 years.

Hope this helps!

Gate9er

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Hello. If you have removed the heater block from the cpu then a good idea would be to reapply. There are great aftermarket thermal pastes, I use Noctua NT-H1 never had a single issue had it running for a few years as well.

Isoprophyl alcohol should be your best solution yes. How often you reapply thermal paste depends on your usage although if you want to be pedantic I would recommend no more than 3 years.

Hope this helps!

Solution

padrepedro

Commendable
Dec 3, 2017
windoh.wordpress.com
Hi Gate9er,

Thank you for your quick reply!

One last question: if you apply the block to the CPU for the first time (using pre-applied or self-chosen thermal paste) and after for example only 10 seconds there's a reason to remove the block from the CPU again (for example because you want to re-orientate the block on the CPU), does that mean you should clean everything and reapply thermal paste? Otherwise said, is cleaning and reapplying necessary in literally every scenario after water blocks or air coolers are located on a CPU for the first time, even after just a few seconds?

When (re)applying I suppose it suffices to apply the paste only on the top of the CPU, right? So not on CPU and cooler plate at the same time?

Thanks!

Pedro

Gate9er

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2012
Well if that's the case then just keep the paste and simply re-spread evenly before resitting the block on the CPU.

Reapplying means cleaning off the old paste from CPU and heater block and reapplying on CPU only.

padrepedro

Commendable
Dec 3, 2017
windoh.wordpress.com
So if CPU and cooler are disconnected one should at least respread before connecting them again, right? Even if you're just relocating things a little bit a few seconds after attaching the cooler the first time?

But when exactly is respreading not enough anymore? At what point is reapplying the choice to be made?
Example: applying thermal paste to the CPU and attaching the air cooler or water block (or not applying anything at all if thermal paste was pre-applied to the water block's plate). After 1 month or so you want to detach the cooler or water block for a few minutes (can be 2 minutes, 30 minutes, 1 hour,...), for example, because you want to move CPU and air cooler/water block to another motherboard. What should be done with the already applied thermal paste? Just respreading (if that's the minimum that should be done)? Or reapplying (so cleaning and applying new thermal paste again)? Where is the boundary between them? Does it depend on when was the last time thermal paste was applied? And/or on how long the thermal paste is exposed to the air (2, 30, 60, minutes or hours or days...)?

I think I understand everything, except when to respread and when to reapply. In the situation I'm in right now I think it's quite important.

Thanks again!

Pedro

padrepedro

Commendable
Dec 3, 2017
windoh.wordpress.com
I've contacted NZXT. They recommend to reapply TIM every 2-3 months. Yes, months!
They do admit this is only when you aim perfection. When you want a high standard but without real perfection you should do it yearly, which is still a lot IMHO...

Personally I think it also depends on the exact TIM one's using and how well the TIM has been applied. I'm going for the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and I will monitor my temps. When I see a decent decline I know it's time to reapply. I think that's the best way: this way is based on measurements and not on guesses.

Just wanted to add this info for completeness :)
Ciao!

Pedro

rumlas

Commendable
Sep 10, 2016
Bought my x62 in September 16, 2017 and I have had no issues with reapplying any third party thermal compound. Use the thermal paste that was already on the CPU block. I have a I7 4790K and at idel it floats between 29-31 degrees and at load while rendering a 5-10 minute video on Adobe Premier Pro, the CPU is at 80-82 degrees. The radiator is mounted on top and exhausts. These temps are pretty consistent in the summer and winter. With winter a few degrees cooler.

Anytime you remove the CPU block from the CPU you'll need to add new paste onto the Kraken prior to mounting it back onto the CPU. I've never seen anyone online put an aftermarket CPU block back onto the CPU with the previous thermal paste. Most wipe off the old thermal past and add new past. Hope that makes sense.