[SOLVED] NZXT Kraken x63 fans are VERY loud

DogoCap

Honorable
May 7, 2016
Hi,
I have an issue with my NZXT x63 cooler, the fans are VERY loud.

The motherboard that I’m using is Gigabyte B450 AORUS PRO and the CPU is AMD 3600X.

I’ve monitored the CPU’s temperature to see when the fans are going crazy and it looks like the get to 100% percent above 50 Celsius degrees.

I tried a number of things before I opened this thread to solve the problem - I downloaded the NZXT CAM program to change the cooler mode to silent which didn’t help and then I tried to configure it through the BIOS which also didn’t change the loudness of the fans.
Thus after all, my guess is 3 options for the problem.
  1. The product is faulty.
  2. I’ve applied the thermal paste wrong.
  3. I did not connect the cooler’s wires properly to the motherboard. I will try to demonstrate how I connected it.
    • One fan I connected to SYS_FAN_1.
    • One fan I connected to CPU_OPT.
    • The pump itself has 3 wires so one of them is connected to a SATA from the PSU and one of them is connected to the CPU_FAN.
Hope someone can help me with that.
Thanks.

Solution
From what I can glean regarding NZXT and CAM, seems like the CAM software is overriding BIOS controls --and the CAM itself is buggy as it is.

It's really hard to apply thermal paste wrong --anything past bare minimum has no bearing on temps. If it's not being spread properly (most of the time due to faulty mounting giving not enough pressure) you should see temps idling at high 50s or 60s that spikes up quickly in a load and doesn't stabilize within seconds.

Your fans seem to be connected properly --not how I'd done it but shouldn't cause any problems. My preference is just to tie 2 fans on coolers (air or AIO alike) on the same header. A very minor nitpick.

For good measure, maybe try connecting the pump to different SATA...

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
From what I can glean regarding NZXT and CAM, seems like the CAM software is overriding BIOS controls --and the CAM itself is buggy as it is.

It's really hard to apply thermal paste wrong --anything past bare minimum has no bearing on temps. If it's not being spread properly (most of the time due to faulty mounting giving not enough pressure) you should see temps idling at high 50s or 60s that spikes up quickly in a load and doesn't stabilize within seconds.

Your fans seem to be connected properly --not how I'd done it but shouldn't cause any problems. My preference is just to tie 2 fans on coolers (air or AIO alike) on the same header. A very minor nitpick.

For good measure, maybe try connecting the pump to different SATA connectors. Just to eliminate the possibility of faulty SATA connection --causing dead or suboptimal pump power. Highly unlikely, though, only to cover your bases is all. I do note that dead pumps cause similar symptoms in temps behaviour to poor mounting.

If I were you, I'd just return the unit --and possibly refund it. From what I've read, CAM is about the worst OEM software around.

Solution

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
Connect the 3-pin pump connector to the pump header in your motherboard.
Connect the fans splitter to the cpu or system fan header, then connect both radiator fans to the splitter itself, this will allow you to set a custom curve in the bios. It is important to connect one of the fans to the 4-pin header in the splitter.

I also have the x63 and I found that fans are loud for my taste even at lower rpms, anything above 60% becomes like a jet and could cause vibration, I'm really disappointed in the quality of the kraken x63 fans.

Note that CAM can only control the pump speed but not the fans, so having a silent curve will only be applied to the pump.

DogoCap

Honorable
May 7, 2016
Thanks for the answers.

So your'e saying connect the pump to the CPU OPT in the motherboard and both radiators with fan splitter to the CPU FAN?
If so I will buy fan splitter.

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
I did it, I connected the fans to the CPU_FAN and the 3 pins from the pump to the CPU_OPT.
It sounded like the fans were constantly on 100%.
Did I do something wrong?
Did you set the fans on PWM or DC?
And did you connect one of the fans to the 4 pins from the splitter? Because if you connect both fans to 3 pins and leave the 4 pins free, you will have the fans work at 100%