Jul 7, 2021
Hi, i have an Intel i7 8700k overclocked at 5ghz with the premade oc profile provided by my motherboard (Asus Prime z370-a) cooled by an AIO NZXT Kraken x72 and i noticed that my temps were so high (in full load >95° C). I tried to dismount and remount the cooler adding more thermal paste but nothing changed. The fans are mounted taking fresh air from outside. The AIO parameters are set in the NZXT CAM program with the performance profile. Can someone help me to find the problem? (In full load the TDP arrives to 160w and the core voltage is 1,3v).

Solution
TJMAX for Intel i7 8700k is 100C so very little headroom left.
How was the full load applied, gaming benchmark, stress tester?

Heat is created by power draw and core voltage so you have the choice to drop core voltage and/or lower frequency. Assuming your AIO is functioning correctly,

Adding more thermal paste could make the situation worse as you only need enough to fill the tiniest of voids.
Please describe your case and fan setup and which GPU you have?

Heat is created by power draw and core voltage so you have the choice to drop core voltage and/or lower frequency. Assuming your AIO is functioning correctly,

Adding more thermal paste could make the situation worse as you only need enough to fill the tiniest of voids.

Solution
Jul 7, 2021

The "benchmark" that i did was a 4k video render in Sony Vegas. My case is an H500P (plexiglass verision) and i have the front fans in intake and the back in exhaust. The AIO fans are mounted in intake on the top of the case. I have an EVGA Gtx 1070 sc black edition as graphics card.
Lowering voltages could make the processor perform worse?

Some chips do generate more heat and default core voltage is set higher on some Motherboards. It is the core voltage that is maybe set too high on Auto or higher than necessary. Each core voltage increase has an exponential raise in temperature.
Drop your core voltage in .01V steps till the system is no longer stable (refuses to boot) then raise it back up till it boots. That is the optimum core voltage.

Stress test the system using Aida64 with your system at stock frequency and also download HWinfo64. Choose the stress test from the tools menu and select to test the FPU, CPU and Cache. Run the test for 20mins and compare thermals with HWinfo64. Stop the test if temps exceed 80C. Take screen shots at the 20min mark and report the results for analisis. You can use IMGUR as a link to this site for your screenies.

Rendering 4k video is the most stressful of tasks so good airflow within your Case is important as your none reference GPU will generate a lot of heat into your case that needs to be gotten rid of. If the case has a 120mm rear extraction fan then replace it with a 140mm fan which will help. Test also by removing the front case panel and point a desktop fan into the case and check temperature core difference. The better the air flow the lower overhaul CPU temp. Tweak your fan curve profile in Bios to bring fans RPM to come on sooner can also help.

In conclusion.
Your i7 8700k chip may not be able to hold stable at 5GHz for extended periods so you may have to reduce frequency for heavy tasks.

I have a high end processor used for rendering 3D CAD surfaces and have differing profiles saved in Bios. On occasion the size of the file when run will raise temps to beyond an acceptable level so I drop the CPU frequency for that task.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2021
Some chips do generate more heat and default core voltage is set higher on some Motherboards. It is the core voltage that is maybe set too high on Auto or higher than necessary. Each core voltage increase has an exponential raise in temperature.
Drop your core voltage in .01V steps till the system is no longer stable (refuses to boot) then raise it back up till it boots. That is the optimum core voltage.

Stress test the system using Aida64 with your system at stock frequency and also download HWinfo64. Choose the stress test from the tools menu and select to test the FPU, CPU and Cache. Run the test for 20mins and compare thermals with HWinfo64. Stop the test if temps exceed 80C. Take screen shots at the 20min mark and report the results for analisis. You can use IMGUR as a link to this site for your screenies.

Rendering 4k video is the most stressful of tasks so good airflow within your Case is important as your none reference GPU will generate a lot of heat into your case that needs to be gotten rid of. If the case has a 120mm rear extraction fan then replace it with a 140mm fan which will help. Test also by removing the front case panel and point a desktop fan into the case and check temperature core difference. The better the air flow the lower overhaul CPU temp. Tweak your fan curve profile in Bios to bring fans RPM to come on sooner can also help.

In conclusion.
Your i7 8700k chip may not be able to hold stable at 5GHz for extended periods so you may have to reduce frequency for heavy tasks.

I have a high end processor used for rendering 3D CAD surfaces and have differing profiles saved in Bios. On occasion the size of the file when run will raise temps to beyond an acceptable level so I drop the CPU frequency for that task.
I did all the tests but i decided to leave the cpu stock because lowering the voltage even by a bit as you said would make the pc crash . Probably i lost the silicon lottery. Thank you for the patience