[SOLVED] NZXT Kraken Z73 for 3rd gen Threadripper vs Noctua nh-u14s tr4-sp3?

Arviee

Honorable
Oct 13, 2014
Hi guys,

Is anyone using NZXT Kraken Z73 on their 3rd gen Threadrippers? What temperatures are you getting on different loads?

I'm currently torn between Noctua nh-u14s tr4-sp3 and... I dunno, there seems to be no good AIO specifically made for TRs? But fwiw I really like the visuals of Z73.

How crucial is that Z73 doesn't fully cover the CPU?

What is your opinion on each option?

Solution
Thermalright isn't too popular in America.
Not the case in the UK. The folks over on overclock.net view Thermalright in high regard.

I tried 2 specific Thermalright coolers - True Spirit 140 Power and Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme Rev. B - out of curiosity to see if they were really 'Noctua Killers' as claimed.
Turns out it wasn't true from my testing on a 7820X. Neither outperformed my NH-D15S with 2 fans.

I must give you a heads up with the Silver Arrow TR4. That is equipped with a 2500rpm fan. To make the most of that, the chassis fans should also be of equivalent rpm/strength.
If you're not looking to run fans that loud, you'd be better off skipping it.

Arviee

Honorable
Oct 13, 2014
3970x

I'm in EU. Budget is... well... the less the better, but not to compromise CPU's health, longevity and productivity?

I really want to get some feedback from guys using Z73 and what temperatures they're getting.

So far I'm mainly considering Z73 and Noctua nh-u14s tr4-sp3 with 2x black fans.

Also ready to listen to some custom loop benchmarks and prices, but from what I've read so far ppl aren't really getting that much (imo) for additional $600-$1500 besides expensive visuals and bragging rights (that I DO love, but not ready to spend on yet).

Also there's a question of reliability, safety and maintenance. So far I've been a fan of air, but z73 looks so cool... :}

Last edited:

Arviee

Honorable
Oct 13, 2014
One of the main reasons for my question is this:

View: https://youtu.be/FffaOYQpI6k

Noctua TR4 was outperforming Kraken X62 and yes, Z73 is bigger, but it's also more than 2x expensive and if all that I'm getting for that extra money is reduces reliability, increased noise and stunning visuals than I'll have to heavily consider air. Again.

So I really want to get some information on Z73's performance.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Z73 shouldn't be any better than X62 - for the Threadripper cpu, I mean. The weaknesses of hybrid coolers:
-The user needs a replacement on hand for when the pump eventually fails.
-Liquid flow rate.
-The copper base plate and the size of the fins on the other side of it.

In that regard, the Z73 can contain more heat due to the larger radiator, but that's the only thing going for it here. The rate of actually moving that heat should be the same as the X62.
The issue is occurring at the IHS, and the larger radiator and identical flow rate doesn't help with that.
The Noctua TR4 is superior here because of the full IHS coverage.

Perhaps consider a different model - from one that did it right?
MasterLiquid ML360 RGB TR4 Edition

Arviee

Honorable
Oct 13, 2014
Z73 shouldn't be any better than X62 - for the Threadripper cpu, I mean. The weaknesses of hybrid coolers:
-The user needs a replacement on hand for when the pump eventually fails.
-Liquid flow rate.
-The copper base plate and the size of the fins on the other side of it.

In that regard, the Z73 can contain more heat due to the larger radiator, but that's the only thing going for it here. The rate of actually moving that heat should be the same as the X62.
The issue is occurring at the IHS, and the larger radiator and identical flow rate doesn't help with that.
The Noctua TR4 is superior here because of the full IHS coverage.

Perhaps consider a different model - from one that did it right?
MasterLiquid ML360 RGB TR4 Edition

I've seen a test where it performed +/- the same as Noctua TR4 and considering that ML360 comes with everything that water cooling comes with, it seems that it's no brainer choice for Noctua TR4.

Thanks for your reply, I was assuming that, but wanted some confirmation.

Though I still hope that someone actually uses Z73/X73 with 3960x/3970x, I'd love to learn real life temps (with case, fan setup and ambient temp).

Arviee

Honorable
Oct 13, 2014
Yeah, that thread is definitely helpful. Btw there's also Thermalright SilverArrow TR4 that isn't getting any mentions, but from the tests I've seen it's right there fighting for the #1 air cooler spot for TR4.

...so I guess smart thing $/performance wise would be to go either with Noctua or Thermalright SilverArrow.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thermalright isn't too popular in America.
Not the case in the UK. The folks over on overclock.net view Thermalright in high regard.

I tried 2 specific Thermalright coolers - True Spirit 140 Power and Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme Rev. B - out of curiosity to see if they were really 'Noctua Killers' as claimed.
Turns out it wasn't true from my testing on a 7820X. Neither outperformed my NH-D15S with 2 fans.

I must give you a heads up with the Silver Arrow TR4. That is equipped with a 2500rpm fan. To make the most of that, the chassis fans should also be of equivalent rpm/strength.
If you're not looking to run fans that loud, you'd be better off skipping it.

Solution