Question NZXT Kraken Z73 pump buzz

jerbae

Honorable
Dec 16, 2017
Hey everyone, I got a little question about my Kraken Z73 AIO. Any other owners here?

I experience the pump making an audible buzzing sound (not gurgling, not bubbling, not rattle-y) when I turn the pump RPM to maximum (Starts at 70%, pitch going up until 100%). Is this normal / to be expected with an AIO like this?
Cooling performance is working (and excellent).

The sound is very similar to what this user is experiencing:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaA-j8ZAtOA

Thanks in advance!

Nov 18, 2020
It seems like alot of people are experiencing this problem. I am too. Just installed the AIO today and this sound drives me crazy (fans are all dead silent).

The noise is directly linked to the pump speed. Audible at 20% speed and above. Moving the pump speed up is resulting in the noise getting louder and faster.

I had the system running for about 10 hours and had the case in different orientations to remove any air pockets. Did nothing.

I've read that this sound is what the new pumps are supposed to sound like (different forum, a guy had two of them and both had this sound). A different person commented, that he had his replaced and the new one didn't come with that sound.

So far no solution or answer from NZXT.

Edit: Just to give an impression about the noise: The pump is the loudest part in my system and is clearly audible next to a RTX 3080 FE under full load.

Last edited:

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
AIO pumps should likely NEVER be heard. In all the tests I've performed, I haven't heard a pump make noise over the sound of anything else in a case, including case fans.

The only way you would normally hear them is to be very, very close to the pump itself, but certainly not at 0.5 or 1.0 meter (or more) away.

jerbae

Honorable
Dec 16, 2017
I'm in a (slow) support mail thread with NZXT, and so far they've walked me through all the things I've already tried (bubble removal - it's not bubbles), check connections, etc.

I'm afraid this is just how this pump is :/

Nov 18, 2020
I'm afraid this is just how this pump is :/

Yea. Slightly confused how a product with such a sound can be considered anything like acceptable or even premium. Chose the higher priced product to make sure it operates fine (eyeballing the 6y warranty). Never had an AIO pump defining the sound of my PC before. Although I'm running Noctua NF-A-12 at 30ish %, I do so to keep the noise down. Not to change the system noise from humming to buzzing ... Thinking of returning that thing.

jerbae

Honorable
Dec 16, 2017
Yea. Slightly confused how a product with such a sound can be considered anything like acceptable or even premium. Chose the higher priced product to make sure it operates fine (eyeballing the 6y warranty). Never had an AIO pump defining the sound of my PC before. Although I'm running Noctua NF-A-12 at 30ish %, I do so to keep the noise down. Not to change the system noise from humming to buzzing ... Thinking of returning that thing.
I've got a custom fan curve that keeps the pump below 65% (the threshold on which I hear the buzz). Maybe a custom curve can work for you too? :/

Nov 18, 2020
I've got a custom fan curve that keeps the pump below 65% (the threshold on which I hear the buzz). Maybe a custom curve can work for you too? :/
Thanks, did that yesterday.

I have to keep it below 30% to hide the sound completely (the fans are really quite). I'm working on that system, that's why I'm not always wearing headphones while the pc is under "load". Not sure how effective it would be to keep the pump that low during my work. Especially when thinking about that kind of money for a 25-30% pump. It isn't too loud between 30 and 60ish%, but you can clearly hear that buzzing clicking in the whole room.

I had it running at 100% in a tilted position over night to REALLY make sure there is no air involved. No change. Next I'll try to keep it running upside down. Or outside the case to move it around more freely.

EDIT: 60% idle is about 40°C and 25% is about 46°C

TRENDING THREADS