Review NZXT N7 B550 Review: NZXT Meets AMD

Co BIY

Splendid
With this much shroud why do I need a case ?

Both NZXT boards have been released at the same price point.

Are intel boards still more expensive in general ? or has that gone away now that AMD CPUs are in the lead ?

Do we need to rethink the assumption that choosing intel means a more expensive motherboard ?

w_o_t_q

Commendable
Jul 24, 2019
strange choice top notch mb on B550, need x570 and drop 2.5gb lan or go to 10gb. a 2.5 g lan equipment is as expensive as 10gb so nobody will bother with it.

coolestcarl

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2011
While I like the look a lot, I do not think this board would have longevity. Heat is the enemy of electronics and I wonder if this board would fail sooner than other similar non shrouded boards. All that heat buildup would be trapped under those shrouds and have a higher equilibrium temperature since there is no passive airflow from the nearby components to cool them off. Even in an air-conditioned room, trapped air would get quite a bit warm (even if it takes longer to initially heat up).

strange choice top notch mb on B550, need x570 and drop 2.5gb lan or go to 10gb. a 2.5 g lan equipment is as expensive as 10gb so nobody will bother with it.

While I understand your sentiment, 10Gb has some high requirements. Power requirements are extreme for the signaling, and it runs hot with cat 6/7 ethernet. Unless you do your cabling properly, you're going to fall back on speed. A lot of cabling online labeled Cat 6/7 is junk. And there's only a very few select 10Gb switches that are reasonably priced (ie: Microtik) None of the cheap ones support SFP/SIP so you can't mix and match

Last edited:

HTMLSpinnr

Commendable
Mar 18, 2019

For homes that are pre-wired w/ Cat5e, 2.5G is all we can support w/o rewiring w/ Cat6A or only supporting 10G in a single room w/ 1G, bonding, or 2.5G uplinks to your wiring panel.