NZXT N7-Z37XT Motherboard Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
Anyone that is looking at paying $200+ for a board is going to want the best possible performance that means looking at benchmarks. When three different sets of benchmarks come out and tell you the same thing " Budget board performance" Then you just lost the value. Benchmarks do matter at that price segment because when you pay for premium you expect the absolute best you can get.. this is not it. It's not bad or great but just another average board with some added toaster oven appeal.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008

They could have easily included an M.2 Key E slot or mPCIe slot to accommodate a wifi card. That would allow for those who need wifi to have it and have it be up-gradable.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
No. What I'm saying is the best way forward is a mobo that's open to go forward. I'd rather have a mobo with 3 or 4 pcie x1 where I can add what I need, update what I want, tailor to my aesthetics, than an all-in-one mobo where I'm stuck with what the manufacturer feels I need/want/should have. Why should I pay extra for a mobo included wifi that's only AC 1300, when in 6 months I'll be adding a pcie x1 card thats AX 2600. Why pay premium prices for mobo RGB capability when it won't control but a few brands, limiting me to certain fans (that also come with their own controller).

Open it up and let me make it mine, if I wanted to be locked to certain things that are almost proprietary (like the nzxt hue) I'd buy a Dell.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I personally favor Key-E over x1 because it's x2+USB. And the USB is used for the on-chip Bluetooth interface. Well, that and I have other uses for my expansion slots.But there are enough different boards on the market to satisfy nearly everyone :)

g-unit1111

Titan

There is a lot to like about this board. You don't have to be locked to buying all NZXT components - that option is there because of their control suite software. I've been using and playing around with it a lot since I got my S340 Elite and it's very nice to be able to get extremely detailed information about my system as well as be able to have total control over things like the lighting and fan speeds. I can see why people wouldn't buy it because there are things that are limiting. For instance on a $249 board having only 4 SATA ports is completely unacceptable. Where my Asrock Taichi was $70 cheaper and it has 10 ports available. Huge difference! Plus if you do use an M2, the SATA-0 port gets knocked out, which means you only have 3 ports at your disposal. Not everyone wants or uses M2 drives and some people have many drives, which would require the use of multiple adapter cards. If you're willing to overlook that aspect of it, then this would be a good board.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, it is a good board, and I agree there's a lot to like about it. And for most with a low end build that's limited like mine with just 1x ssd, 1x hdd, 1x optical and 2x pcie x1 cards, it'll stand out in the crowd. My biggest beef is the price tag. That price puts it in the mid to high end build range, yet the features don't hold up. The Hue is proprietary to nzxt and done right is not cheap, so I can see many choosing Aura or Auros boards instead as those are widely accommodating of many fan/lighting systems. If you are asking that price point and not including usb 3.1, at least slap in 3x 3.0 headers, 4x pcie x1, 8x Sata headers etc, as not just drives use Sata, so do some AIO's, and open the board up for expansion. Short-changing usable headers was usually the mark of the ultra value ATX boards or mATX/mITX.

Basically this board reminds me of a tricked out, show worthy Mustang, with a 2.2L 4-cyl under the hood.

Status
Not open for further replies.