Question NZXT No longer detects my fan or aio pump

twinkle21

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
Hey good afternoon all. I have a questions and I'd really like some help! I have a brand new build, everything seems to be working great. When I first connected the aio pump and the radiator/fans to the motherboard, everything was working great. The cam software, provided by NZXT, would let me adjust the fan and aio pump to what I desired. Though, when I tried to make a new profile just for gaming, I set the aio pump and the fans to 100%, and I don't feel like they where at 100%, because I had an old version of the aio/radiator, and when it was at 100%, you knew it lol. This setup at 100% doesnt have the same effect as the old one. So I tried to adjust the settings in the Asus bio's to have all the fans running at turbo/100%. I l believe I messed something up when I did this because now the cam software wont detect the pump or the fans. And it doesnt show up in my computers device manager either. But the strange thing is, I believe it's working because I can monitor the temp through trhe cam software still, and it seems the pump is controlling the temps, because it's not going over 80 degrees c". Sorry for the ramble. I have no idead how to fix this. I've tried performing a clean install of windows 10 pro, i've cleared the bios and tried to reset them using the clearcmos button on the back of my motherboard. I've contacted both the Asus and NZXT and neither of them can figure it out. I did try to move the usb 2.0 mother header to a different 2.0 header, and the same thing happens. Though when I did unplug it, the fans kicked into higher gear from being completly silent. I have the AIO pump set up exactly as the NZXT manual tells you to. I'm wondering what the hell I did, and if it's something I didn't do, i'd like to know how to resolve it. Myabe the AIO cooler isn't compatabitle with my motherboard? Sorry if I didn''t post the question correctly or if I left something out. I really apperciate the help and feedback!

My set up is

Asus Maximus xi code motherboard
Intel i7 9700k CL processor
Corsair T180 case
EVGA 1070TI graphics card
Corsair veangence 3200 32gb (x2 16) ram
Samung 860 evo 2tb ssd
NZXT kraken x72 pump
windows 10 pro
Corsair rmx 850w Power supply

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
With Cam, I just set it to Silent mode, set fans to report to Liquid not Cpu and forgot about it. Bypasses every bounce in windows, no more ramp ups. Doing it that way, the kraken responds more like a full loop and less like an air cooler.

Ppl place too much emphasis on actual reported temps, to a cpu it could care less. It's either in operating range or throttle range. Bumping fans on the x72 is next to pointless. All that effort to keep a cpu at 55°C, when the cpu is quite happy, the noise far less, at 60°C.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barty1884

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
To explain, that x72 is rated around 400-450w capacity. You have a 95w TDP cpu, that even under duress will barely scratch 200w. Maybe close to 250w with a good OC. Which puts you about equitable to my i7-3770K at 4.9GHz. My x61 under Prime95 v26.6 small fft got a solid 72°C after a half hour torture test at 100% loads. The kraken X61 is a 280mm rad rated at 350-400w. 200-250w is chump change for either. Even heavy gaming barely ever put the cpu over 55-56°C on silent mode.

It's nice that we have the ability to tinker with settings, but honestly nzxt has already done extensive testing and does get reports sent by us of our pc's and temps, so programs curves to maximize performance and minimize intrusiveness. Unless you have an over the top OC, with some funky settings, Cam defaults are better optimized for your gaming experience than what most users will set themselves.

twinkle21

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
To explain, that x72 is rated around 400-450w capacity. You have a 95w TDP cpu, that even under duress will barely scratch 200w. Maybe close to 250w with a good OC. Which puts you about equitable to my i7-3770K at 4.9GHz. My x61 under Prime95 v26.6 small fft got a solid 72°C after a half hour torture test at 100% loads. The kraken X61 is a 280mm rad rated at 350-400w. 200-250w is chump change for either. Even heavy gaming barely ever put the cpu over 55-56°C on silent mode.

It's nice that we have the ability to tinker with settings, but honestly nzxt has already done extensive testing and does get reports sent by us of our pc's and temps, so programs curves to maximize performance and minimize intrusiveness. Unless you have an over the top OC, with some funky settings, Cam defaults are better optimized for your gaming experience than what most users will set themselves.

Thank you everyone for the replies. So I did try loading optimized defaults, and the cam software still doesn't recognize my fans or my pump. I tried disabling all the qfan options by selecting disable. My issue is that neither my computer or the cam software detects that it's installed. My fans are running, and my pump has the logo lite up. Any fresh ideas are greatly apperciated. I've read online that the clear cmos and the load optimized defaults do not entierly reset the board back to factory settings.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Sort of true. If there's 100 different settings, only @ 70 are factory related and optimizable. The other 30 are neither here nor there, just user preference (made up numbers, but the theory is sound as bios versions are massively different). So if using F5 and soft reset to factory optimized defaults, some get left alone. Ppl also use profiles for specific bios settings, especially for OC, and not resetting the profile for a default can load up the bunk bios every time, soon as you reboot.
Also sometimes, using the jumper on the board, it's not done long enough and the bios doesn't reset, same with pulling the battery. Jumper/battery is best method, it returns the bios to factory original settings, but needs to be done for longer than 30 seconds. Pushing and holding the power button (pc unplugged) can help drain residual power to the board, which the bios can possibly use while the battery is unplugged. (there are varying theories on that, but it can't hurt even if it does nothing on your mobo).

After the clean install of Windows, did you then also do a full install/update of the motherboard chipset drivers from Asus support? It'll include audio, Lan, Sata controller and USB family specifically for your board. Windows uses generic drivers that won't fully implement your chipsets.

Last edited:

twinkle21

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011
Hey karadjgne. Yeah I have driver booster pro from advanced system care. I've also checked my bios version and it matches the most updated one provided by the Asus website. So I know all my drivers are up to date. I will try clearing the bios using the jumper method and see if that works.

katulen

Reputable
Apr 22, 2019
I have NZXT Kraken X72, and I had almost same issue a few days ago.I All though, CAM did register my pump & rad fans, but not my 3 front fans.

I don't know if this was what fixed it for me, and don't know if it fixes it for you, but perhaps worth a try.

Just before i noticed CAM didnt register my fans, i had reset BIOS to default.
So when i noticed, I booted back into BIOS and changed the fans that wasnt recognized, to run from DC mode to PWM mode. And when i booted back into windows, CAM recognized my fans again.