[SOLVED] NZXT Phantom 410 and RX 580 heating DRAM (diagram inside)

saudor

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Hello ! Im having some heat issues on gaming load where heat from the GPU rises up the case, heats the DRAM to 50 degrees C + and in turn also heats the CPU to 47-50 degrees C (Core loads are 22% according to MSI afterburner in-game stats). I used to have the SSDs in the top 2 rows of the drive cage and it too heated to 47. By placing them below the GPU, they sit at a more sensible 33 degrees.

Ambient is like 25-27. At idle, CPU temps are low 30s and GPU sits at 36 degrees (I spin the fans constantly at 15%) The CPU never goes above 40 in non-gaming workloads. The exception is when im encoding video - then it goes to max 51.

Do i need more case fans or do i need to spin them much faster. I tried placing a cheapo fan in the fan slot closest to the GPU but i think it made temps worse since i think it forced the hot air to recycle back through the GPU fans

The fans are connected to my motherboard headers but they can also be connected to the case fan controller and adjusted manually.

Here's my fan setup. I know - my PSU is a ticking time bomb but so far survived for 7 years now.
Fan-setup.jpg

Solution
I honestly don't see any problems here; you're worrying over nothing.
Moving the storage drives was a sensible decision, but that's it.
Ram has a temperature limit of 80-90C depending on the model... what's 50-60C to it?
Is the cpu pushing 85C+ under load? If not, then there's no problem.
Is the gpu pushing 80C+ under load? If not, then there's no problem.

Lutfij

Titan
Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

Your arrow showing where the GPU exhausts the hot air is not true, the heat will travel upwards due to convection currents.

Also, how old is that PSU? You should be on a reliably built 550W~650W unit, not something underpowered. The last line says you know but I don't think you understand how that unit could also kill everything it's powering.

For you airflow, I'm very certain your intake is insufficient for the heat to be evacuated. Either that or your fan rpm's are all running at their own volition without regulation. How are the fans connected in your system?

saudor

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:

Your arrow showing where the GPU exhausts the hot air is not true, the heat will travel upwards due to convection currents.

Also, how old is that PSU? You should be on a reliably built 550W~650W unit, not something underpowered. The last line says you know but I don't think you understand how that unit could also kill everything it's powering.

For you airflow, I'm very certain your intake is insufficient for the heat to be evacuated. Either that or your fan rpm's are all running at their own volition without regulation. How are the fans connected in your system?
Yeah i know it travels upwards hence why it pumps heat into the CPU and heats up the RAM sticks considerably. It also pushes hot air into the drive bays as that area is also noticeably hot

The fans are currently connected to and controlled by the motherboard headers. The fan curves in bios show that it ramps the RPMs up at around 40 degrees C.

As for the PSU, the ones im looking at are either out of stock or grossly overpriced so it's just sitting on the list of things to buy. I rarely game these days so my system pretty much sits at idle most times

dimtodim

Reputable
only problem what i can see is intaking air...u have block on front panel for coming fresh air...install one fan on bottom. even u can on top also and see results, also try put ssd with hdd if u can and there install fan

Reactions: saudor

saudor

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
only problem what i can see is intaking air...u have block on front panel for coming fresh air...install one fan on bottom. even u can on top also and see results, also try put ssd with hdd if u can and there install fan
Right. I just removed that entire middle drive bay, moved one of the HDD from the bottom out and put the SSD there instead. The other SSD is just sitting on top of the bottom drive bay ( within range of the intake fan so this SSD should still receive cool air)

Hopefully, the extra space allows the heat to dissipate more and get stuck less

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I honestly don't see any problems here; you're worrying over nothing.
Moving the storage drives was a sensible decision, but that's it.
Ram has a temperature limit of 80-90C depending on the model... what's 50-60C to it?
Is the cpu pushing 85C+ under load? If not, then there's no problem.
Is the gpu pushing 80C+ under load? If not, then there's no problem.

Solution