NZXT s340 HDD and Vibration

Meow1234

Honorable
Jan 6, 2014
I am going to be purchasing a NZXT s340 case.

An SSD is not an option for me. For the money I do not think an SSD make sense for me.

I am not sure if I am going to have to worry about vibration due to the 3.5 hdd cage. It has no rubber grommets.

I was thinking about installing a 2.5" hdd in the SSD location at the front of the case. All of the documentation says SSD SSD SSD and does not mention a 2.5" HDD for the front bays.

Has anyone else used this case with HDDs and have you had any issues with vibration?

Thanks

Hi Meow1234.

I think you shouldn't worry about vibration even if you decide to use a 3.5" drive, if the HDD can be mounted properly and you can screw it tightly. As for the 2.5" slots, from what I can see in the case's specification, it just says: Drive bays Internal 2.5": 2+1 about them. In my opinion you shouldn't have any trouble with a 2.5" HDD as well. The "if i fits - i sits" rule can be applied here (if it can be mounted properly), there shouldn't be any problem. Cases are usually designed with that thought in mind and to reduce vibration as much as possible. However, if you are still not sure, I'd suggest that you get in touch with the case manufacturer's customer support and ask about those things.

Hope that helps.
Boogieman_WD

davidsho2

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
Hey, I think I might have found a solution to the problem.
I have both an SSD and HDD. Whenever I put the computer to sleep I notice there was a loud vibration coming from the hard disk.
My first thought was to add the extra screw in the back. It didn't help. I tried switching it to the lower bay. But this time when I screwed it in I made sure it wasn't touching the metal on either side. There is a gap on both sides now.
My suggestion is to remove the PSU when doing this otherwise it will be impossible.
The noise is gone for now.