NZXT Will 'BLD' Your Next Gaming PC, For A Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Ehh, this service is aimed at folk that are making the transition from console gaming to PC gaming. The thought of all the research that one needs to do before building a PC puts a lot of people off, not to mention the act of building the thing itself. Some people just don't want to do that work, they'd rather just buy a thing and play. So, this is the service for them. And console people have never had to think about what system to buy from any perspective other than "What games do I want to play?" So here's how to cater to that thinking and make gaming system shopping a little more familiar.

Geo Matrix

Reputable
Feb 8, 2015
I would NEVER pay someone else to build my computer. I enjoy choosing what parts I want in my pc. And I enjoy putting the computer together and installing only the software I want. There is absolutely not $350 worth of labor in building a regular pc or gaming pc. I've built 12 pc's to date. All except 2 were Gaming computers.

Adm1ra1P

Commendable
Nov 23, 2016
I feel as if this is paying them to take away the fun of everything.

Perhaps it is akin to going to the dentist, "Here's my money doc, now please inflict pain."

dstarr3

Distinguished

Same here. But some don't. So here's their service. It's not like this is the only way anyone will be able to build PCs ever again.

blppt

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
"Only an idiot would build a pc around a certain game..."

Not necessarily---if you play one MMO constantly, it would make sense. Then again, most MMOs are merely "get the fastest per-core cpu you can find" type of engines.

bloodroses

Distinguished

And yet people do it all the time. I know plenty that had built machines strictly for playing World of Warcraft.

I know I personally don't upgrade components on my PC until I run into the 'must own' titles that I want and can no longer run. Luckily I haven't really ran into one yet since I don't hardcore game like I used to. :)

ibjeepr

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2012
Doing a straight up Newegg price comparison, I was only $100 cheaper AFTER you add in the $350 build charge. So $450 cheaper if you can do it yourself. I found the ability to customize acceptable but the choices limited albeit high quality. Probably not an issue for those looking to use this kind of service. On that note, if this is for "novices" explanations as to "why" to choose certain upgrades should be more robustly detailed. Also, better images of how cables are run and completed build examples.

jonroberts26

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
Waste of $350 is right. I have very little tech experience and I've built two. Not to blow sunshine off Tom's or anything, but all the info and recomendations you need are all here. Just a tip from me: spend a extra dollar or two and you won't need to build another so quickly and you'll actually save a few bucks.

Many of the commenters here aren't realizing this service isn't aimed at them. There are many users here that can build a PC easily, so $350 seems steep to recommend some parts and build a PC. However look how many posts a day Toms Forums sees of people who can't figure out how to install a CPU, or troubleshoot basic problems, or even what type of RAM they need. For these people $350 may not be that bad of a deal to have "quality components", over an "off the shelf machine" from the "OEMs".

bloodroses

Distinguished

I completely agree. If system builders actually made quality PCs without a super high price premium (Alienware, Falcon, etc), self building computers would be all but a dead hobby for 99% of the people out there. I still get questions from people who don't know better asking me if this C2D cpu with a GeForce 9800GT is a good gaming PC because his 'friend' bought it at the time new for over $2000.

kawmic

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2013
People are lazy. Look at all the other things they pay someone to do, they could easily do themselves.

dstarr3

Distinguished

It's not necessarily about laziness. Do I know how to replace the head gasket on my car's engine? Yeah. Do I want to take the week off of work it'd take me to do it myself? And risk doing a bad job? God, no. I will gladly pay the premium to have a professional do it better and do it quicker.

I'll never buy a pre-built system because I've done all the research and gotten all the experience required to build a really solid PC. But there are a lot of people out there that don't have the knowledge and/or experience, and don't want that knowledge and experience. They just want a high-quality computer that works without having to invest all the time and energy it takes to do it properly, for the same reasons I don't replace my own head gaskets.

G

NZXT used to charge $50 to assemble a computer for you, now they add $300 extra. Strange, I think $50 or even $100 would attract a boatload more customers.

Matt_550

Reputable
Dec 29, 2015
Making the jump from a console isn't hard in the PCPartpicker community. Those guys are great and give amazing feedback. I know my first build could've been better at gaming if I had moved more money into the GPU. But after researching I figured I'd be updating it in a few years anyway and wanted my case to be accessorized from the start. This site may have grabbed my attention initially as a person to build for the first time but it would've lost it rather quickly due to the lack of parts options.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Only an idiot would build a pc around a certain game...

"Does it run crysis? " used to he a legitimate question for a builds. Only a very high end system could run it at 1280x1024. But running it at all was a bit of an achievement. So of there is another game like crysis (tom clansys far cry Anyone? )
it might again be a valid question.

Larmo-Ct

Reputable
Jan 17, 2016
I know at some point. I'm going to want to upgrade my three desktops. The last one I purchased approximately three years ago, was built for me by a certain company. It cost me around $4000.00. I purchased one from Gateway when the original company was around, and they put the cheapest brand parts I selected into my machine. I've been back and forth, about whether I want to build my own machine, or let a company do it. On the bright side, I have a fantastic computer repair shop in my city. That has very reasonable pricing, and easy to work with. So, I can either buy the parts that I want installed in a machine, and let them do it. Or, I can buy the parts, put the machine together myself, ( as I have done before ), and if there is a problem. Take it to them, ( cradled in my arms ), and say, "Please Chaps, make my baby work!" So, buy the parts I want, try and put everything together, and if I screw up.. I have a back up, to make things okay. Yeah.. I'm lucky that way! ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.