[SOLVED] nzxt z63 and no usb motherboard headers

Sep 27, 2020
I have a 84FD (U3E1) motherboard and no free usb headers for my nzxt kraken z63 I want to change the display but without a open usb I can't can anyone help me find a way to make this work

Tippolas

Prominent
Feb 21, 2019
The mobo only has one pci slot so this won't be an option unfortunately as the gpu is currently occupying it. I've seen some adapter cables like this: here but I'm not sure if it will work. Tried using a micro usb to usb cable to go from the nzxt pump to the back of the mobo and that didn't seem to work. CAM software didn't recognize anything.

We also need another usb header for his corsair fan commander to get plugged into as well.

I know a new mobo would be the surefire way of getting it all to work but that isn't really an option right now.

TIA!!!

Those, and the ones that split a single internal USB 2.0 header into two headers, will not work for what you want. They will work for SOME things, but if you look at the feedback for most of those types of devices you will see that a great many of them are negative and left by people trying to use them with AIO's in similar situations as yours, and wouldn't work.

So unfortunately, I think you need to either ditch the cable coming from your front panel USB 2.0 headers to free up that header inside, or get a newer platform to work with that has more available connections.

My advice would be to get an aftermarket case and full ATX motherboard, and swap everything over to that, assuming that with that standard micro ATX motherboard you also have a standard form factor ATX power supply as well, and not a proprietary form factor HP power supply. I don't see any other way you are going to get what you want with this limited OEM motherboard.

You could possibly also ONLY swap out the motherboard, and keep the case, but most micro ATX motherboards are going to leave you in the same predicament you are already in, with limited USB headers and PCI slots.

Reactions: Tippolas

Tippolas

Prominent
Feb 21, 2019
I wish we could ditch the front panel usb headers for this but the motherboard doesn't have a single usb 2.0 header. There is a "lighting control module" header which looks identical to a usb 2.0 header but that doesn't seem to work either.

Seems like the ONLY option is to replace the motherboard.

Those, and the ones that split a single internal USB 2.0 header into two headers, will not work for what you want. They will work for SOME things, but if you look at the feedback for most of those types of devices you will see that a great many of them are negative and left by people trying to use them with AIO's in similar situations as yours, and wouldn't work.

So unfortunately, I think you need to either ditch the cable coming from your front panel USB 2.0 headers to free up that header inside, or get a newer platform to work with that has more available connections.

My advice would be to get an aftermarket case and full ATX motherboard, and swap everything over to that, assuming that with that standard micro ATX motherboard you also have a standard form factor ATX power supply as well, and not a proprietary form factor HP power supply. I don't see any other way you are going to get what you want with this limited OEM motherboard.

You could possibly also ONLY swap out the motherboard, and keep the case, but most micro ATX motherboards are going to leave you in the same predicament you are already in, with limited USB headers and PCI slots.

You are right. It doesn't even have ANY USB 2.0 rear ports either, only USB 3.1 Gen 1 or higher.

This is the least expensive option that I see that will give you all you need, and is likely a significantly better quality board for all that it is still an entry level model, than what you have now anyhow.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte H370M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $104.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-28 15:18 EDT-0400

Tippolas

Prominent
Feb 21, 2019
That looks like a pretty solid little board for 100 bucks. PCP shows it compatible with an i7-8700 but does that mean after a bios flash?

You are right. It doesn't even have ANY USB 2.0 rear ports either, only USB 3.1 Gen 1 or higher.

This is the least expensive option that I see that will give you all you need, and is likely a significantly better quality board for all that it is still an entry level model, than what you have now anyhow.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: Gigabyte H370M DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($104.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $104.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-09-28 15:18 EDT-0400

It's the same chipset as the board you have now. Both are H370 chipsets. It will support your CPU out of the box. As I said, the only question really is your power supply. Is it a standard ATX power supply or is it a proprietary HP unit? Does it have a standard 24 pin atx connector plugged into the motherboard?

Can you take a picture of the label on the side of the power supply and post that here? Better to make sure, than to assume, and end up with complications that are unexpected.

Last edited: