NZXT's FN V2 Fans are Built to be Silent

Status
Not open for further replies.

soccerplayer88

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2010
Meh, COUGAR has been doing this for some time at better CFM marks with better dBa levels. The other thing NZXT is screwing up is using Rifle Bearings instead of a higher standard like Fluid-Dynamic.I'm not really sure who they're trying to target here. Do yourself a favor, instead of looking at these go for a COUGAR CF-V12H. There really is no downside unless orange isn't your color.

I'd support Cougar here as well. I swapped out the 140s on my Phantom 820 and Kraken x60 for green Cougar CFD140s, and the airflow increase is almost equal to the noise reduction, which is noticeable. Lovely fans, though admittedly they usually run 1.5-2 times the cost of these NZXTs.

Haravikk

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2013
That doesn't seem very silent at all. I know I keep harping on about them, but the Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex 14 is 140mm, but only 15mm thick, but have similar airflow at around 600rpm, and are under 18dBA. They're not perfect, for example they lack built in rubber grommets, but using either rubber washers or anti-vibration "screws" leaves them practically silent. They are a bit pricier, but with their size and 120mm mounts they're great as both CPU coolers and case fans.I suppose for the price these NZXT offerings aren't too bad, but they just don't seem very impressive either.

Tedders

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
Meh, COUGAR has been doing this for some time at better CFM marks with better dBa levels. The other thing NZXT is screwing up is using Rifle Bearings instead of a higher standard like Fluid-Dynamic.I'm not really sure who they're trying to target here. Do yourself a favor, instead of looking at these go for a COUGAR CF-V12H. There really is no downside unless orange isn't your color.
I have been planning on getting Cougars for a while, just haven't gotten around to it. They do make black variants of their 120mm and 140mm fans which is good, cause I don't want orange.

I agree on the cougar fans. I use them exclusively. I have 6 of them and my pc runs near silent even while gaming (and I keep 3 of them running at 100% power all of the time). I'm glad NZXT is making these though as the more options out there, the better.

May 2, 2013
If it moves air, it can't be silent. Full Stop.It can be quiet, but if you have a case like mine (Antec P193) you'll have to fit 5 of them beside a big side-fan to bring full airflow to the case. Now I'm using silent fans right now and overall the system at idle is not bad, but I would not consider it silent by a long shot..

Sep 22, 2013
Personally, I've been using Phanteks for quite a while now and I swear by them. In fact, they're near dead-silent on 80% full speed, and pretty quiet at 100%. My only gripe is that when you shut down or go on sleep mode, if they're in a horizontal position they make this little wobble "wuh wuh wuh" sound as they spin down; same happens if you run them below about 20%; but they're silent at 30%, so why bother?The NZXT fans than came with my Phantom 410 case are nearly as silent as the Phanteks, though proportionally louder at higher speeds, so I'd be willing to bet these new ones that are actually targeted for silence are good performers.I have to add that the fans in the Phantom 410 are by far the best quality I've received as "free" fans with a case.

Status
Not open for further replies.