NZXT's H440 Razer 'Special Edition' Now Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

dovah-chan

Honorable
I really wish they would change their licensing program name to something else since they don't design the cases, they just brand them. Same with their switches which are just OEM non Cherry switches. While I'm not the biggest Razer fan in the world, I do think this case looks quite nice on it's own while being complimented by other Razer peripherals. Now let's wait for them to release a Chroma edition and charge $50 more.

Also unless the person is a hardcore razer fan (which by that point I'd assume they'd just get the system pre-configured) people will first respond to the case saying it looks nice and then they add it to their cart and continue shopping around. But then after a quick peek around they'll come to find there aren't anymore Gigabyte sniper boards (discontinued during Z87) and not many graphics cards are green and black. In my opinion unless you want to paint your components (like Linus is doing for a Razer build) then I would stray away from this case if you're interested in a no hassle themed build and just go with another H440 color scheme or another case.

Well, unless it gets some matching components which by that point also be licensed by Razer (Razer green Ripjaws X DIMMs lol) It's not like there isn't already black and green themed cases already but they just come stock with green LED fans that most people throw away after they get sick of them anyway.

No optical drive? Seriously? That's stupid. Why not just give it room for a slim drive or something? Even though downloading is becoming more of the norm, that doesn't mean that everyone wants to do that. Some people actually prefer physical media.

I like the case's look and design, but the lack of an optical drive location would kill it for me. Good thing I don't need a new case, I suppose.

itsnotmeitsyou

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
No optical drive? Seriously? That's stupid. Why not just give it room for a slim drive or something? Even though downloading is becoming more of the norm, that doesn't mean that everyone wants to do that. Some people actually prefer physical media.

I like the case's look and design, but the lack of an optical drive location would kill it for me. Good thing I don't need a new case, I suppose.

Lucky for you, every other case in the world has a 5.25" optical bay.

Physical media is fine, but there is no need for an optical drive. You can create a single multi-iso bootable USB that holds all your OS installs and pre-os utilities. One USB. Done. CDs are on their way out, and thats a good thing imo.

This is a damn fine lookin case, and though I am a fan of Razer, an extra $30 for their logo and some green-led's just aint worth it. Plus that black and orange H440 is SEXY.

While you say that physical media is fine, how do you plan on getting it onto your HD or onto your USB stick? An external optical would be your only choice and that seems like a waste for how seldomly some may use it. For others that might not be an issue, but it still seems like a waste of money seeing that they're more expensive than one you'd put into your case. You'd also have to disconnect and store it somewhere, too.

I absolutely love my Corsair Obsidian 550D and it's got plenty of space available. Besides, like you, paying for what amounts to a little bit of Razer lighting and a logo isn't worth the premium they're likely charging. That aside, it IS a nice looking case.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
Razer is too little too late on this one, right now it is like beading a dead horse with a stick on this case. Those who wanted a H440 already have one by now, and those who are moving on from a H440 are going to Phantek cases.

I cannot believe Razer took the same case and just slapped their logos on it with LEDs. They did nothing to fix the issues the case have.
After owning the Blue edition of this case for months, I can personally say:

1. the LED switch position sucks

2. the non removable PSU shroud sucks when it comes to modular PSUs when you have to add another cable after you install the PSU.

3. the fan hub sucks! If it was like the Phanteks PWM fan hub then it would be great, but its not. it sucks just like their Grid+. The Molex connection to power the lights and fan hub is even more laughable!!

4. the front and top fan mounting points are holes not slots. Only the rear fan have a slotted cut out so you can reposition the fan height.

5. each drive caddy could have held 2 drives. One on the bottom and one on the top but all that space for 5 drives is a waste.

6. the three included 120mm fans move little to no air so might as well move them to the roof and install 3 new air flow fans in front.

I still love my H440 but this was after I ripped out the fan hub and replaced it with a Corsair Link Commander Mini and attached 3 Cougar 140mm vortex (top and rear) and 3 Cougar 120mm Vortex (front).

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
Actually this case is perfect. I've been buildling desktops / workstations since ~88 and Razer has just the right look for me. I have their mouse, keyboard and all Asus stuff w/ watercooling. I don't care about showing the inside of my "box" but this case is a perfect complliment. It's expensive for a bunch of bent aluminum but it'll be my next purchase as I upgrade the case on my server w/ the current case I use http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ET4KYO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I simply thought they were more than that and didn't bother looking at the time. No sense in being a condescending asshat about it. Truth be told, my Corsair case wasn't much cheaper than the price of this one.

f-14

Distinguished
lulz, first attempt trying to load this page in a new tab using adblocker plus and script blocker in chrome:

Suspicious Activity Detected

Due to suspicious activity from your computer, we have blocked your access to http://www.tomshardware.com. After completing the CAPTCHA below, you will immediately regain access unless further suspicious behavior is detected.

Note: This website may require JavaScript. If you have JavaScript disabled, please enable it before attempting to return to http://www.tomshardware.com.

reCAPTCHA challenge image
Privacy & Terms
Get a new challenge
Get an audio challenge
Help

You reached this page when attempting to access http://www.tomshardware.com/news/nzxt-h440-razer-special-edition,28027.html from 69.176.243.126 on 2014-11-08 03:00:54 GMT.
Trace: 7489B3CC-66F3-11E4-A23B-E9980A7971DB via a0b2b4fa-2c79-4916-bf92-8a9a10ea5c08
Distil Networks

optical media drives are a must if you have kids...they ruin dvds so fast and i've had to make 2 dvds of 'frozen' from the master so they don't ruin the master disc that's just this week. can't netflix it either.... good bye d/l argument.

Zhyr

Distinguished
May 19, 2013
Just because some people may want an optical drive, doesn't mean everyone does.
There's plenty of cases with external drive bays so pick one of those cases.

Zhyr

Distinguished
May 19, 2013
Just because some people may want an optical drive, doesn't mean everyone does.
There's plenty of cases with external drive bays so pick one of those cases.

universal remonster

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I personally want optical bays to go away. Though I do still use physical media, I just use an external dvd drive. With games becoming 50GB installs now there is no way I want to spend the time to download it when I can just switch out 3 discs instead. The trade off of having a much more aesthetically pleasing case with better airflow characteristics is worth the very small hassle of messing with an external drive a few times per year. Also to mention, case volume can be shrunk down considerably when not having to accommodate 5.25 bays to the side of the motherboard.

Ning3n

Honorable
May 12, 2013
In response to the comment by SkyBill40, and F-14... This case isn't designed and marketed towards those who have absolute must for DVD use. This case is marketed toward gamers and techies who've realized the fact that video streaming is here to stay, and optical media is a quickly dying format. If your MUST HAVE list for a case includes 5.25" bays, there are hundreds, if not THOUSANDS of options for you. Don't gripe a single case because it doesn't have something YOU don't want.

That said....

Even though NZXT designed and built the case.... The addition of the Razer branding likely means the case will fall apart just after the warranty expires.

Connor B

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
This is a great case. I have the red/black H440 and it's so awesome. The cable management is great and there are multiple places for fans, it's just great m8:D

Status
Not open for further replies.