[SOLVED] O11 Dynamic XL or P500a

Jan 8, 2021
So I have changed several things about my build. I have already purchased the P500a but should not have any problem selling it at cost if need be. Originally I was going to do air cooling on a 5600x with a 3070 but things have changed below is my current build:

CPU- 5950x
CPU Cooler- EK AIO 360 Elite
GPU- ASUS Strix 3090
MB- ASUS x570 Dark Hero
Memory- 64gb of 3600 CL 16
Fans- I have 4 Noctua 140mm Fans with Halo Lux RGB Frame

I chose the P500a because my initial thoughts were to go with the Noctua NHD15 and do air cooling which the P500a is one of the better cases for air cooling. Now that I have decided to go with an AIO I feel like the O11 might be the better choice as it will provide some cooling options for my 3090. The reason I am selecting the XL variant is so I can leverage the 140mm fans I have already purchased. This will allow me to use 2 140mm on the bottom for intake, 2 on top for exhaust and mount the AIO on the side also as intake.

I am looking for performance above anything and I feel like the extra cooling on the 3090 would be a good thing to have.

What is the opinion on this am I just being stupid and should just stick with what I have?

Solution
You have a good air cooling case against one that is better suited to water, so hard to compare
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3506-lian-li-o1-dynamic-xl-case-review-benchmarks
GN only test for air, so its a little lop sides. the P500a is slightly cooler.
they both need air but neither really suffers for it

This will allow me to use 2 140mm on the bottom for intake, 2 on top for exhaust and mount the AIO on the side also as intake.
sounds like a plan, all the heat from the 3090 won't have anywhere to go but up. Wonder if having bottom as exhaust would work as well.

at least its a 360 rad. helped someone with same...

Colif

Win 11 Master
You have a good air cooling case against one that is better suited to water, so hard to compare
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3506-lian-li-o1-dynamic-xl-case-review-benchmarks
GN only test for air, so its a little lop sides. the P500a is slightly cooler.
they both need air but neither really suffers for it

This will allow me to use 2 140mm on the bottom for intake, 2 on top for exhaust and mount the AIO on the side also as intake.
sounds like a plan, all the heat from the 3090 won't have anywhere to go but up. Wonder if having bottom as exhaust would work as well.

at least its a 360 rad. helped someone with same case and they had a 280mm and there really isn't any good place in that case for one of those.

Only reason I didn't get an 011 dynamic last year was needing to buy all the fans. So that is a personal one, I thought about it. I didn't get it but it looks like a nice case.

You need to find someone who runs water in their tests on both to see which is better in that aspect.

seems a trend, buy a 3090, get an 011 XL

Last edited:
Solution