OBD expectations

So this old foggie just recently found out modern cars have all these sensors blah-blah and I can hook up an OBD reader and find out all kind of things from my car, EXCEPT the readouts I've seen, the data given is cryptic, intended for the car mechanic with manuals to decipher what those numbers mean.

So Question #1 is, are there OBD readers that give out more Joe-Blow readouts that makes sense to a human?

Question #2 is, what standard readout should I expect to see? So far my 50K Civic minder only told me to change oil, tire pressure low and that's it. I would like to see brake pads wear, struts not bouncing enough need change etc. Am guessing there is a standard set of OBD readings and another set of optional, vendor's specific set of readings?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Well, that is a loaded question.

The generic ODB readers are just that, generic. Those cryptic codes often do need translation (google is your friend there, particularly for common faults) Or you really do need the service level information about your specific car. On some cars/engines it is encrypted and only a dealership/authorized service will have the correct software to talk to the ECU over OBD.

Not all brakes have electronic wear sensors. Same with struts, some cars might have ride comfort sensing, but I doubt that would make it out the ODB port. Most of the OBD stuff will go to the ECU and BCU (Engine & Body) Engine is going to be timings, backfires, O2 sensors, Mass Air Flow, etc, etc. If you aren't getting anything there, that is very good. Body will be accelerometers for the airbags, doors, windows, latches, lights, etc. Some cars have split the air bag and body computers so there are three distinct units. (My 09 Toyota is that way)

Personally, I think the cheap OBD readers are okay, but you don't need to buy one. Most Autoparts stores will hook up to you for free in hopes you will buy whatever is mentioned.

As cars get more advanced I'm afraid it is only going to get worse. I recently bought a very advanced car and haven't bothered to hook up to the OBD port. I did get ahold of some of the service level software stuff on ebay, so I might actually be able to talk to the car. Though I would be very leery of messing around in there. Too much to go wrong.

USAFRet

Titan
I have this:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZWM0R4

Connects to any Win tablet or laptop with a USB port.
Does your Honda serve up brake wear and strut info? Highly unlikely.
But it DOES give up a lot more info than just the dash gauges.

For instance, on my old 2000 F-150, digging into an continual overheat situation:
I was able to read and compare the water temp, the cylinder head temp, and the cylinder head temp sensing unit voltage.
As temp rises, the voltage changes. So you can maybe see what the actual fault might be.

Thanks that is very helpful.

From Scotty Kilmer @Utube says auto zone will lend you a scanner because you start fixing stuff, more business for them so I may just try that.

Well just found out my Civic has no electronics brake pad wear sensors 'cuz it started squeaking old skool.

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I will note, though, that the vast majority of codes that get thrown are generic P (Powertrain) codes that any OBD-II reader can pull up.

These days, if I had a car with ABS and SRS [which is anything even vaguely new], I'd buy a reader that can interrogate those codes as well.

The Innova line of OBD code readers goes from the most basic to unbelievably sophisticated. The mid-range one I bought many years ago (sans ABS/SRS capabilities) has an on-board code library for the generic codes so you get some description and also an on board library for many manufacturer specific codes (which I seem to recall, perhaps incorrectly, start with U).

I can't even count on one hand the number of non-Powertrain codes I've gotten off of multiple cars over years now.