Obnoxious Loud Fans

squidmam12

Honorable
Dec 10, 2013
Ok. So i have an AMD FX-6300 3.5 ghz and a AMD HD 7870 2gb. Both my cpu and gpu are not overclocked. I realize since these are not the highest end components they might struggle with more graphically demanding games. But some games the fans are just really loud. Is the CPU that bad, or is it just the games. Some of the games I play that cause loud noises are Payday 2 and Rust, and Dayz.. Is this noise common or is it just my parts are probably dirty. I've had my pc about 3 months. Haven't cleaned it once. Is there any method to prevent my computer from doing this. Would a better heatsink work. I use the default cpu cooler. thanks for reading

Solution
the 6300 has an even smaller fan than the 8320 (the cheap all aluminum block with something like a 60mm fan. The smaller a fan is, the noisier it is to move the same volume of air. I'm guessing it's your CPU fan as well, though GPU fans can get pretty loud too. I would also recommend a Hyper 212 something (+ and evo are both good) to keep the cpu quiet on the cheap

Bojangle12

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
I have an AMD FX-8320 and the stock fan on the heatsink was really loud. I'm assuming it's the same for your FX-6300.

You can buy a heat sink with a larger fan. A very popular one is the Hyper 212 EVO. It has a 120mm fan. Small fans need to have high RPMs in order to generate good air flow, which makes a lot of noise. But a larger fan doesnt need to have as high RPMs to make good air flow because the blades are longer.

I remember when my computer got busy, the stock fan sounded like a drill. With the larger fans it doesnt.

Jaxem

Honorable
the 6300 has an even smaller fan than the 8320 (the cheap all aluminum block with something like a 60mm fan. The smaller a fan is, the noisier it is to move the same volume of air. I'm guessing it's your CPU fan as well, though GPU fans can get pretty loud too. I would also recommend a Hyper 212 something (+ and evo are both good) to keep the cpu quiet on the cheap

Solution

Jaxem

Honorable

It can be kind of a pain if your case doesn't have a big enough cutout behind the CPU, then you'll have to remove the motherboard to install it. But if you built the rig, you shouldn't have any trouble doing it. It does come with thermal paste.

Jaxem

Honorable
Any time there's noticeable build-up i clean mine out (a light layer that slightly changes the color of my GPU's PCB), comes out to once every month or two for me with how many fans i have (though my tower is running for a relatively short time each day). If you get a layer of it, things start heating up from being insulated, and in cases of extreme build-up i've heard of shorts happening and frying machines whole. I may be a bit paranoid from hearing that, but i also take good care of my stuff in general.

Bojangle12

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014

The instruction say its easy, but I think it was difficult. I had to look up images and videos on the internet.

You will need to remove both side panels to install it. After removing the old heat sink, wipe off the old thermal paste, then wipe it off with some rubbing alcohol, and dry it. You need to remove these brackets that are screwed onto the motherboard. They are the brackets that the original heat sink latched onto. Then you need to remove the back plate from the back side of the mother board. Place the new backplate onto the back of the motherboard, and screw in a few screws from the front of the motherboard that hold that backplate in place. That was the hard part.

Also, look on the FAQ or support page of your case and your motherboard. I found some random info on there for heatsinks. There are things I would not have though of. Like "How tall of a CPU cooler can my case fit?" or "what's the heaviest CPU my motherboard can hold?"

It could save you a trip or two.

Bojangle12

Honorable
Feb 10, 2014
Over the past week I went crazy with fans. I just tested out 4 fans with the Hyper EVO 12. I also have 3 case fans. It's really unnecessary. I say get 1 intake, 1 exhaust, and a Hyper 212 EVO. The original Hyper 212 fan is fine. Since you're original post had complaints about noise, don't go for those high powered fans.

Can you post the model of your case. Either give the name of it, or a link to the website.

Jaxem

Honorable
extra case fans isn't really an upgrade unless they're already super noisy or your temps are high. Barring those two cases, you'll just be adding extra noise and dust intake (i'd know, i have like 10 fans on my case :S)