[SOLVED] OBS - Rivatuner framarate cap cause screen tearing (I need RTSS to stream with NVENC)

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
Hello guys!

I use NVENC to stream with OBS. I had a lots of lag only in the stream. I found the solution, which is capping the frame rate to have OBS enough of the video card. But when I cap FPS with RivaTuner to my monitor's refresh rate, I have very hard screen tearing so I can't play at all. Without RivaTuner FPS cap I have screen tearing issues too, but it's not so bad..., but when I start to limit FPS with RTSS, my games are unplayable for me. But frame limiting is the only solution to stream with NVENC without lagging stream. What should I do to avoid screen tearing with RivaTuner? Maybe I need to set something in RivaTuner?

My config:
AMD Ryzen 5 1600
GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
ASRock AB350 Pro4
16GB DDR4 ram
Samsung evo SSD

System: Windows 10 Pro x64

I use latest RTSS and OBS.

Last edited:
Use a tool like process hacker (or windows task manager) to make nvcontainer.exe run at realtime priority,that's the task that does the actual encodig so putting it at real time will allow the system to give the encoder all the process time it needs, process hacker can save this setting for you and it will always run like that even if process hacker is not running,with task manager you would have to do this every time.

Reactions: pety100

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
Screen tearing implies that you have vsync turned off. Did you try turning vsync on?
Hi! Thx for reply.
With vsync on, the stream is fine, BUT I have two reason not to use vsync:
  1. I have 75hz monitor. If I use vsnc, I need to set my monitor to 60 hz, because my computer can't keep the fps stable above 75 in all games.
  2. Input lag. That's the second reason. I am very sensitive for input lag, so vsync is my last option.

InvalidError

Titan
Input lag. That's the second reason. I am very sensitive for input lag, so vsync is my last option.
Enable input lag reduction in drivers (reduces the number of in-flight frames the drivers will allow) and if your games support triple-buffering (alternately rendering to an invisible buffers and making the most recently finished frame active on vsync), use that too or force it enabled from drivers.

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
Use a tool like process hacker (or windows task manager) to make nvcontainer.exe run at realtime priority,that's the task that does the actual encodig so putting it at real time will allow the system to give the encoder all the process time it needs, process hacker can save this setting for you and it will always run like that even if process hacker is not running,with task manager you would have to do this every time.
Unfortunately, this is not working.

pety100

Reputable
Jul 24, 2019
Well, I think the only solution for me is V-Sync. But RTSS frame capping would be a better solution, but for me it's causing screen tearing. So I will use v-sync for now. In NCP there is an option Low Latency Mode, what I switched on, and I feel a bit more repsonsive the game unser v-sync, so it helped a bit. Thank you guys for all the answer.

TRENDING THREADS