Question Obtained Windows 10 Product Key for Bootcamp on my Mac in College, can I transfer to new PC build at no cost?

Aug 26, 2019
In college I had to use bootcamp for a few programs to work on my MacBook Pro and so I had to install Windows 10 which was free through my university. I still have the product key on my Mac but have since uninstalled bootcamp as it serves no purpose to me anymore. Can I use that product key to install Windows 10 on a future PC build by uninstalling from my Mac? If so, how do I ensure that Windows 10 is uninstalled from my MacBook so that I'm not violating Microsoft's policy of 1 product key per computer?

I've watched many tutorials regarding uninstalling on a PC computer; however, I've not had any luck on the Mac side of things. If I can save $100 it'd be a huge win for me considering I'm already operating on a tight budget.

Wolfshadw

Titan
Unless I'm mistaken, the license for the Windows Education key expires when you leave college. If you're still in college, then I don't see an issue. If not, then the license is no longer valid (again, someone correct me if I'm wrong).

In all honesty, I'd say your best bet is to just install Windows 10 without activation. There's no financial cost in doing so and it's perfectly ok by Microsoft. All you lose is some customization capabilities (background/taskbar).

-Wolf sends

Reactions: jrwask

britechguy

Commendable
Jul 2, 2019
I would suggest giving Microsoft a call asking this. They really want to have as many Windows 10 users as possible, and if it's permissible by them they'll give you all the details on how to do it.

Reactions: jrwask
Aug 26, 2019
Thank you both, I appreciate it!

UPDATE: The key is permanent and I don't have to buy a new product key! BIG WIN!

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS