[SOLVED] Obtaining new processor for my old motherboard

Mar 8, 2020
ABout 8 years ago I built a PC based around an ASUS Maximus V Gene motherboard an Intel Core 2 Duo processor. It has worked beautifully ever since but I now need to upgrade it with more memory (no problem) and a Quad Core 3.2Ghz processor as I want to use the machine for more demanding work.

As far as I can tell, it is no longer possible to buy new compatible processors. Do I have any options here? I really don't have the time to build a new PC from scratch and the prospect of a refurbished CPU is unappealing.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Solution
Nope. You will either have to buy a used CPU or build a new computer. As far as used CPUs, its really not a big issue to buy them, plus given the CPU is so old the cost for one will probably be between 5 and 20 USD, so if it doesnt work you arent out alot of money.

As far as time to build a computer, it takes maybe 2 hours, its painfully simple these days to do it. Also pretty much any modern CPU, even a cheap Ryzen 1600AF which retails for 85 USD brand new will decimated any Core2Quad CPU you can find. If this is more about a budget, then yeah a quad core will def help, but I think you'll have to adjust your expectations of how much so, especially in new games and applications.
Nope. You will either have to buy a used CPU or build a new computer. As far as used CPUs, its really not a big issue to buy them, plus given the CPU is so old the cost for one will probably be between 5 and 20 USD, so if it doesnt work you arent out alot of money.

As far as time to build a computer, it takes maybe 2 hours, its painfully simple these days to do it. Also pretty much any modern CPU, even a cheap Ryzen 1600AF which retails for 85 USD brand new will decimated any Core2Quad CPU you can find. If this is more about a budget, then yeah a quad core will def help, but I think you'll have to adjust your expectations of how much so, especially in new games and applications.

Reactions: ssilvuk
Solution
Mar 8, 2020
Thanks. Any recommendations as to a sensibly-priced processor to build the system around? My market knowledge is a bit out of date. I'm going to be working with large orchestral sample libraries, and the minimum spec for running them is an Intel i7 Quad Core 3.2GHz with 32Gb RAM.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

TRENDING THREADS