[SOLVED] obtaining VGA LED error light on ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING motherboard

Sep 20, 2019
Hello,

we consistently get a VGA LED error light on our motherboard no matter what we try. We have the following equipment in our build:

- ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 ATX Motherboard
  • AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16
  • CORSAIR RMx Series, RM1000x, 1000 Watt, 80+ Gold , Fully Modular Power Supply

The following has been tried to remedy it:
  • We have removed the board from the case and have only the 24 pin and 8 pin power going to it as well as the power switch connection from the case.
  • The CPU is still inserted and the CPU fan plugged into the board and working upon powering up
  • We have only one stick of memory connected to the board in slot B2 (as per the manual).
  • We have a HDMI cable running from the HDMI connector on the board to the HDMI connector on the monitor. We have tried both HDMI connectors on the monitor and have tried swapping out HDMI cables. Both cables have worked before for different computers.
  • We have swapped out different power supplies. We have tried a 650W supply instead of our 1000W supply. Both produce the same results.

Outside of trying a different monitor, I'm not sure what else we can do to determine the problem here. I hoping someone has a good suggestion.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Solution
Just an update - we have tried another monitor - still no luck

You're on board HDMI won't work, no matter what you do btw... The 2600X doesn't have onboard graphics. That is what that port taps into. You would have to have one of the lesser 2400U? CPUs for that to work. This limits your ability to check failures. So you need to test your GPU in another comp to remove that variable.

Obsidian-Sid

Honorable
Apr 13, 2016
Edit: Read my 3rd then 2nd post first before this...

I had an issue with this as well. It turned out it was a bad CPU (2700x on a Strix F (and Hero VII) x470) but trying to get posts was horrible. It was posting VGA... So obviously I thought maybe Video card, but I quickly checked that on another build. Then I assumed it had to be the MoBo... Because that makes sense. Well I wanted to make sure. So I went and bought another x470 (cheap MSI Gaming something) and grabbed a 1600 for $30 (because Microcenter bundle deal and why not).

So I put the 2700x on the new MoBo and fail. Finally, frustrated to the point of breaking things, I put the new MoBo and CPU together and it worked. Eventually stuck the 1600 on the Strix x470 and it worked.

So it was the 2700x and posting VGA (probably because there isn't Video on the CPU?).

So I think you might have a bad CPU. Go grab a new one and try it (you can always return it)

AMD was great and cross shipped, so that was cool. Good luck

Last edited:

Obsidian-Sid

Honorable
Apr 13, 2016
Just an update - we have tried another monitor - still no luck

You're on board HDMI won't work, no matter what you do btw... The 2600X doesn't have onboard graphics. That is what that port taps into. You would have to have one of the lesser 2400U? CPUs for that to work. This limits your ability to check failures. So you need to test your GPU in another comp to remove that variable.

Solution

Obsidian-Sid

Honorable
Apr 13, 2016
Hello,

we consistently get a VGA LED error light on our motherboard no matter what we try. We have the following equipment in our build:

- ASUS ROG Strix X470-F Gaming AMD Ryzen 2 AM4 DDR4 DP HDMI M.2 ATX Motherboard
  • AMD Ryzen 5 2600X Processor
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16
  • CORSAIR RMx Series, RM1000x, 1000 Watt, 80+ Gold , Fully Modular Power Supply
The following has been tried to remedy it:
  • We have removed the board from the case and have only the 24 pin and 8 pin power going to it as well as the power switch connection from the case.
  • The CPU is still inserted and the CPU fan plugged into the board and working upon powering up
  • We have only one stick of memory connected to the board in slot B2 (as per the manual).
  • We have a HDMI cable running from the HDMI connector on the board to the HDMI connector on the monitor. We have tried both HDMI connectors on the monitor and have tried swapping out HDMI cables. Both cables have worked before for different computers.
  • We have swapped out different power supplies. We have tried a 650W supply instead of our 1000W supply. Both produce the same results.
Outside of trying a different monitor, I'm not sure what else we can do to determine the problem here. I hoping someone has a good suggestion.

Thanks in advance for your help.
OMG do you not have a Video Card? If so then there's your problem... I just wrote my replies then noticed you didn't list a Video Card or that you tried the HDMI on it... Please tell me you have one.

Edit: I just assumed you did because why build a system like that without one...

Sep 20, 2019
Yep - that was the problem. We were actually able to work this through with the ASUS service rep (shocking, I know) and found the problem that way. But you have diagnosed this correctly. Thanks for your help. We got this up and running and it works great now.