Question obtaining windows 10 question

simtcr

Prominent
May 19, 2020
Hello

I am building a brand new pc and have a question about obtaining windows 10.

In 2013 January I had purchased Windows 8 Pro via Microsoft website and I still have the product key for it. The PC where I ran this Windows 8 Pro is not any more available. It died and I junked it.

Will it be possible to install above Window 8 Pro on the new build and activate it using the product key. And then upgrade it to windows 10 without any additional fee?

If that is not an option, can I run windows 10 without activating it? And still get security updates?

Thanks.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
in order asked
it should activate for you if the key is not in active use on another machine.
IDK for sure, I think the free upgrade ended.
yes
yes

update: found this

Reactions: simtcr

howtobeironic

Honorable
Jun 16, 2018
In my case I managed to use the Windows 8 (not 8.1) key came embedded with the PC to do the upgrade. Free upgrade period might have ended but activation servers still accept 7/8/8.1 keys. Just say "I don't have a product key" when it asks first and activate on the next boot. If it somehow does not activate you might need to set an 8 up, then upgrade it to a 8.1 then try the activation again (though Windows rolled back 8 medias a long time ago and since I ran through the same hurdles, I know it's a pain to get an 8 install media. Maybe ask MS?)

simtcr

Prominent
May 19, 2020
In my case I managed to use the Windows 8 (not 8.1) key came embedded with the PC to do the upgrade. Free upgrade period might have ended but activation servers still accept 7/8/8.1 keys. Just say "I don't have a product key" when it asks first and activate on the next boot. If it somehow does not activate you might need to set an 8 up, then upgrade it to a 8.1 then try the activation again (though Windows rolled back 8 medias a long time ago and since I ran through the same hurdles, I know it's a pain to get an 8 install media. Maybe ask MS?)
I do have Windows 8 Pro media on bootable USB pen drive. I had saved it originally when I bought it.

Lewis7150

Reputable
May 26, 2017
I’m about to do the same. I have Windows 10 home pro saved to a bootable CD with a new licence key from eBay to activate it. Worked last time I did it with win 7 and 8. Microsoft website is well expensive

USAFRet

Titan
I’m about to do the same. I have Windows 10 home pro saved to a bootable CD with a new licence key from eBay to activate it. Worked last time I did it with win 7 and 8. Microsoft website is well expensive
There is a reason fleabay licenses are so cheap. Because they're often/usually not really valid.
And yours is a whole different case. The OP here is not looking to buy a new license, but rather use the valid one he already has.

Reactions: Lewis7150