[SOLVED] OC 2700x with Aorus B450

Jun 3, 2020
Hi everyone,
I hope you are well, I am novice with OC but I read some tutorials about overclocking the Ryzen CPUs.

That's my pc:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
CPU Cooling system: upHere RGB LED Liquid CPU Cooler 120mm PWM
RAM: Ballistix Sport LT BLS8G4D240FSE, 2 DDR4 2400 MT/s with a total of 16 GB
GPU:
Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 2060 SUPER 8GB
Motherboad: Gigabyte B450 AORUS

What I wanna discuss with you is this: Is worth it to overclock a 2700X that is normally stable in all cores around 4000 GHz?

I disabled Cool&Quiet and I enabled Core Performance Boost from the BIOS.
Cool&Quiet is a nice idea but I disabled it because that left me the CPU around 3900GHz during a hard work and also in idle this function gives a lot of temperature spikes (from like 38C to 55C) that I hate them.
Core Performance Boost increased from stable 3700GHz to stable 4000 GHz (always during a hard work) that's why I enabled.

So... In the BIOS changing the multiplier sounds familiar with a lot of tutorials I saw but I have the "new" system to modify voltage:

Dynamic Vcore(DVID)
Dynamic Vcore SOC(DVID)
DRAM Voltage (CH A/B)

I don't know how to work and play (carefully) with them. The only thing I know is that you can like increase or decrease the value giving to the Vcore a + x.x V or a -x.x V (for example like + 0.3V or -0.3V).

Has someone tried and/or found a good tutorial to work with this system?

I saw sometimes during Cool & Quiet period CPU clock touched 4170GHz and my dream is to see if it is possible to have stable 4170GHz or more without big issues.

Sorry if I was rambling but I prefered to write you everything.

See ya!

Solution
Unless you are doing it for sports or really, really need about 10% higher all core performance , with a small drop in single core performance, you wasted your money on an "X" Ryzen. It's main forte is higher PBO boost over non X.
All core OC eliminates frequency and voltage drop in idle state and puts cooling under question if you don't have advanced cooling.

I really appreciate your answer because, you know, when we start reading so much posts and tutorials is very easy to leave the right way.
I gonna add more details if someone else will have the same question.

My BIOS settings are now:

Cool&Quiet is a nice idea but I...
Hi everyone,
I hope you are well, I am novice with OC but I read some tutorials about overclocking the Ryzen CPUs.

That's my pc:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X
CPU Cooling system: upHere RGB LED Liquid CPU Cooler 120mm PWM
RAM: Ballistix Sport LT BLS8G4D240FSE, 2 DDR4 2400 MT/s with a total of 16 GB
GPU:
Zotac Nvidia GeForce GTX 2060 SUPER 8GB
Motherboad:
Gigabyte B450 AORUS

What I wanna discuss with you is this: Is worth it to overclock a 2700X that is normally stable in all cores around 4000 GHz?

Cool&Quiet is a nice idea but I disabled it because that left me the CPU around 3900GHz during a hard work and also in idle this function gives a lot of temperature spikes (from like 38C to 55C) that I hate them.
Core Performance Boost increased from stable 3700GHz to stable 4000 GHz (always during a hard work) that's why I enabled.

So... In the BIOS changing the multiplier sounds familiar with a lot of tutorials I saw but I have the "new" system to modify voltage:

Dynamic Vcore(DVID)
Dynamic Vcore SOC(DVID)
DRAM Voltage (CH A/B)

I don't know how to work and play (carefully) with them. The only thing I know is that you can like increase or decrease the value giving to the Vcore a + x.x V or a -x.x V (for example like + 0.3V or -0.3V).

Has someone tried and/or found a good tutorial to work with this system?

I saw sometimes during Cool & Quiet period CPU clock touched 4170GHz and my dream is to see if it is possible to have stable 4170GHz or more without big issues.

Sorry if I was rambling but I prefered to write you everything.

See ya!
Unless you are doing it for sports or really, really need about 10% higher all core performance , with a small drop in single core performance, you wasted your money on an "X" Ryzen. It's main forte is higher PBO boost over non X.
All core OC eliminates frequency and voltage drop in idle state and puts cooling under question if you don't have advanced cooling.

Reactions: Eughenos
Jun 3, 2020

I really appreciate your answer because, you know, when we start reading so much posts and tutorials is very easy to leave the right way.

Cool&Quiet is a nice idea but I disabled it because that left me the CPU around 3900 MHz during a hard work and also in idle this function gives a lot of temperature spikes (from like 38C to 55C) that I hate them.
Core Performance Boost increased from stable 3700 MHz to stable 4000 MHz (always during a hard work) that's why I enabled.

I also enabled the Precision Boost Overdrive in the BIOS following this steps:
Peripherals --> AMD CBS --> XFR Enhancement --> Accepted --> Precision Boost Overdrive = Enabled

It increased finally to stable 4175 MHz also during a hard work without any kind of overclock procedure

Solution

I also enabled the Precision Boost Overdrive in the BIOS following this steps:
Peripherals --> AMD CBS --> XFR Enhancement --> Accepted --> Precision Boost Overdrive = Enabled

It increased finally to stable 4175 MHz also during a hard work without any kind of overclock procedure
That's what many have found out about Ryzen. Auto boost when set and used properly denies much need for static OC. Most Ryzen chips can do all core OC to same and less frequency as it's boost values.
Some of advantages of perma OC:
  1. Better multicore performance and is not as much dependent on temperature limits as best boost results are when temperature is at or bellow 62-65c. With OC even high 80s are not a problem. Cutoff temps are in 90-95c range.
  2. Voltages can remain stable but can also be adjusted using LLC or positive/negative offset.
Pitfalls are:
1. lower single core performance if OC level can't be achieved to at least match single core boost on auto.
2. Mostly higher temperatures so cooling has to be upgraded. OEM cooler is simply not enough to achieve any significant OC.

That being said, many feel that Ryzen is jittery/jumpy at idle, reacting to simplest demands from OS and SW but that's actually a good feature because it boosts one or more cores very fast leaving no measurable lag.

Reactions: Eughenos
Jun 3, 2020
That's what many have found out about Ryzen. Auto boost when set and used properly denies much need for static OC. Most Ryzen chips can do all core OC to same and less frequency as it's boost values.
Some of advantages of perma OC:
  1. Better multicore performance and is not as much dependent on temperature limits as best boost results are when temperature is at or bellow 62-65c. With OC even high 80s are not a problem. Cutoff temps are in 90-95c range.
  2. Voltages can remain stable but can also be adjusted using LLC or positive/negative offset.
Pitfalls are:
  1. lower single core performance if OC level can't be achieved to at least match single core boost on auto.
  2. Mostly higher temperatures so cooling has to be upgraded. OEM cooler is simply not enough to achieve any significant OC.

That being said, many feel that Ryzen is jittery/jumpy at idle, reacting to simplest demands from OS and SW but that's actually a good feature because it boosts one or more cores very fast leaving no measurable lag.

Thank you so much for this interesting info.

Speaking about CPU MHz I have another, maybe stupid, question:

Why the CPU frequency decreases when I start a heavy process?

For example:
IDLE 4175-4200 MHz
GAME 4075-4100 MHz

Is it normal? Why is not the opposite with a higher frequency during a heavy process?
Obviously I still have all the same settings I already wrote about.

For example:
IDLE 4175-4200 MHz
GAME 4075-4100 MHz

Is it normal? Why is not the opposite with a higher frequency during a heavy process?
One reason could be that particular games do not need or require that much CPU power and another is temperature, When there's high CPU load it draws more power that produces more heat and when above certain threshold 62-65c with PBO and high 70s with manual OC, it will throttle down accordingly.

MisterMeow

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016

For example:
IDLE 4175-4200 MHz
GAME 4075-4100 MHz

One of the reasons is because of the power and thermal limits of PBO. The algorithm just won't allow all-core boosts to go higher under heavier loads. I've got a 3700x with an all-core of 4.3ghz manual OC. But with Maxed out PBO I only see all-core bouncing around from 4.2-4.32ghz depending on the game, and a max of 4.12ghz for heavy workloads. Forcing a static frequency was more beneficial to me because it brought down temps and helped with frame times in a handful of instances, even though PBO technically gave me higher boost clocks.

So it's really up to you and your particular situation whether or not a manual OC is more beneficial than PBO. And that's assuming you can even get a good all-core in the first place.

I found on my ASUS x470 with Auto OC lvl2 and PB enabled my voltages were going up to 1.57 volts and staying there when gaming which is just toooo much for me, even had a couple of crashes. With the Manuel OC of a stable 4.275ghz I get a steady 1.4125-1.4187 volts and temps are much more consistent, it still drops the clocks in idle and temps are max 58c gaming and 27-35c idle with the Ryzen jump (don't we love explaining this to Intel lovers !!!)

So that is what works for me but every system is different and a b450 might not get stable all cores to over 4.2ghz.

Jun 3, 2020
... ... when above certain threshold 62-65c with PBO and high 70s with manual OC, it will throttle down accordingly.
That was also my opinion also supported by my laptop experience (used ThrottleStop for a while)

One of the reasons is because of the power and thermal limits of PBO. The algorithm just won't allow all-core boosts to go higher under heavier loads. I've got a 3700x with an all-core of 4.3ghz manual OC. But with Maxed out PBO I only see all-core bouncing around from 4.2-4.32ghz depending on the game, and a max of 4.12ghz for heavy workloads. Forcing a static frequency was more beneficial to me because it brought down temps and helped with frame times in a handful of instances, even though PBO technically gave me higher boost clocks.
So it's really up to you and your particular situation whether or not a manual OC is more beneficial than PBO. And that's assuming you can even get a good all-core in the first place.

Thank you so much for explaining us your scenario. I especially appreciate the temps matter because I know it's normal that 2700x and others CPUs have temps spikes. I tried to find a way to stabilize them but I didn't care so much when I saw that running a game or a heavy load it normally tends to amortize the temp to a good value.
I think also that I prefer to OC only if I will have a net earn (like more then 15-20%), less then this range I support the idea of CountMike.

I found on my ASUS x470 with Auto OC lvl2 and PB enabled my voltages were going up to 1.57 volts and staying there when gaming which is just toooo much for me, even had a couple of crashes. With the Manuel OC of a stable 4.275ghz I get a steady 1.4125-1.4187 volts and temps are much more consistent, it still drops the clocks in idle and temps are max 58c gaming and 27-35c idle with the Ryzen jump (don't we love explaining this to Intel lovers !!!)
So that is what works for me but every system is different and a b450 might not get stable all cores to over 4.2ghz.

Maybe I am misunderstanding... What you mean with "Auto OC lvl2"? Is it another feature I didn't find?
Catching the ball, I wanna ask you also some more questions if I can:

1) Have you OC using a stable or dynamic Vcore? (I mean in the BIOS setting)
1a) Are you practiced with Dynamic Vcore(DVID), Dynamic Vcore SOC(DVID) and DRAM Voltage (CH A/B)?
  1. If I will try to OC how you suggest me to proceed?
  2. Some friends of mine gifted me 3D Marks for benchmarking? Is it good to check a good OC?

Thank you guys, I'm learning so much stuffs and enhancing my background.
It's not so easy to find people that want to share their experience or ideas like you.
Maybe it seems foregone but trust me... It isn't!!

TRENDING THREADS