Question OC 3000 c15 to 4000 c19 1 error with 8 passes ok?

Dec 9, 2019
Overclocked corsair vengeance rgb pro 3000mhz c15 to 4000mhz c19 did 8 passes on memtest got one error (test 9) should I worry about it as in drop it to a lower setting (3600 no errors 8 passes or xmp no errors 8 passes) or would it be ok for the ram to stay as is.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Overclocked corsair vengeance rgb pro 3000mhz c15 to 4000mhz c19 did 8 passes on memtest got one error (test 9) should I worry about it as in drop it to a lower setting (3600 no errors 8 passes or xmp no errors 8 passes) or would it be ok for the ram to stay as is.
General idea is the only acceptable number of errors in memtest is 0. Any more than that is a problem and could potentially lead to all manner of issues.

Reactions: King_V
Dec 9, 2019
Agreed. It cannot be emphasized enough - NO ERRORS is the only acceptable result.
[/QUOT
What CPU do you have?

I'd say 3600 MHz is plenty. If you have a Ryzen CPU then 3600 MHz may actually be better than 4000 MHz, as you're able to keep infinity fabric coupled 1:1 with memory clock.
Im running a i7 8700k oc to 5ghz at 1.35 on a msi z370m gaming pro ac MB
First time overclocking basically. I just built another pc for my brother that im hoping i can oc his aswell but havent looked into any amd builds so i dont know very much about them his system is a...
2600x
Gigabyte b450m ds3h
Corsair vengeance rgb 3000 at c15
1060 6gb

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Ok, yeah 3600 MHz is great, doubt you'd ever see a difference from 4 GHz.

For the 2600X, it's pretty unlikely you'll be able to OC to 3600+ MHz. From what I've seen 3466-3600 is pretty much the most you can hope to get from Ryzen 2000, and even that usually takes the right memory chips (Samsung B die) and some luck. I'd say 3200 MHz is probably the sweet spot for performance/price/compatibility for Ryzen 2K.

Reactions: Resact
Dec 9, 2019
Ok, yeah 3600 MHz is great, doubt you'd ever see a difference from 4 GHz.

For the 2600X, it's pretty unlikely you'll be able to OC to 3600+ MHz. From what I've seen 3466-3600 is pretty much the most you can hope to get from Ryzen 2000, and even that usually takes the right memory chips (Samsung B die) and some luck. I'd say 3200 MHz is probably the sweet spot for performance/price/compatibility for Ryzen 2K.
I will look in the bios on his mb to see whats available. Thanks, im not even sure you can oc ram on his mb, some of my friends kept telling me that going up in mhz will damage your ram and cause degradation but from what ive read it looks like only with the wrong amount of voltage will mess you up. Also that intel builds only really want lower latency but from the increase in mhz ive clocked about a 9-12 fps increase overall without gpu oc included

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Dec 9, 2019
Yes, you can OC RAM on that B450. No, you won't damage the RAM just from increasing the frequency.

It's a common misconception that RAM speed doesn't matter much for Intel, but the truth is recent testing has shown it can make just as big a difference with Intel as it can for AMD in at least some cases

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-ram-speed,5951-6.html
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-ram-speed-x470-pinnacle-ridge,6064-6.html
I will take a look at these thanks!

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Also those friends have not overclocked anything before but said that their friends have told them that they messed their system up from ocing
On the other hand my ocing friend told me to oc cpu then check for stability and temp on aida64 then oc ram and do memtests on each untill you can dial in whats stable and then from that you will have no issues with your build and will not damage the hardware
Oh, you can definitely end up with system instability and/or data corruption from a bad OC. But that's not the same as damaging your hardware. You can typically find recommendations for the safe maximum temperature/voltage for a given part, and as long as you don't exceed those it's pretty hard to do lasting damage to your system.

As you say, doing lots of stability testing is a integral part of overclocking. Do your due diligence up front to make sure everything is stable and you won't have to worry about issues down the road :)

Reactions: Phaaze88 and King_V