czcina

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
Hi all.

I trying for 2 days to overclock my Ryzen 3700x.
It's my first Ryzen chip so I'm confused where to begin.
Ryzen Master doesn't work as I would like to.
When I tried to auto OC with my Asus AI Suite 3 it went as far as 4250Mhz all cores. I can run benchmarks, prime95, cinebench no problems.
I decided to try Ryzen Master then.
Loaded stock bios, went into Ryzen Master, set up ( knowing that 4250 was running just fine ) 4200 clicked apply and crash... just when applied, could not even run a single benchmark!
Voltage readings are ALL different on all programs. CPUZ: 1.296V, HWinfo64: 1.100V, some other ones 1.45V...
I'm lost with all that PB, PBO.
Can't even run it at advertised speed ( 4.4Ghz ) :(
-Ryzen Performance Plan ON
-Latest Windows
-Latest bios
-Kraken X62
-Asus Crosshair Hero VIII
-3700X

Even running benchmarks at 4.25GHz my temps were fine, around 70ish, so temps aren't the problem.
Any Ryzen users here that could advise me whats the best way to max out 3700x ? CPU looks decent, mobo should be fine for some OC.

At the moment I have 16GB G.Skill ( Samsung die ) running at 3000MHz 15, 16, 16, 35 @1.35V ( XMP profile - works fine , no problems there... )
PBO Enabled / Manual, limited by Motherboard with + 200Mhz and on top of that AI Suite from Asus OC'ed to 4.25GHz. It works, but it feels like I'm doing one thing from 3 different angles ... what I mean by that is, a bit of my OC is from Asus software, a bit manual BIOS tweaks and a bit of Ryzen doing Ryzen stuff... it's a bit too messy.
Was hoping that either Ryzen master can set it all up and off I go, or just in bios manual tweaks and off I go, hope it make sense ;)
any advice greatly appreciated

Solution
In my experience, for 4.3 GHz on all cores, it needs at least 1.43v which requires much better cooling than stock. With Ryzen, it's some kind of rule of the thumb that max (practical) OC on all cores is same as it's maximum boost on one or 2 (maybe 3) cores. Properly set and working PBO will push my 3700x to 4.37GHz single core and that would give me higher single core/thread performance than if stuck with 4.3GHz OC.
Ryzen, specially Ryzen 3000 boost is also regulated by core temps and will not go high as 3.75+ unless under 65c.

Lutfij

Titan
You were better off with the auto overclocking provided by Asus. Speaking of which, you forgot to mention your specs, which is critical for a thread of this nature. List them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

czcina

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2012
CPU: Ryzen 3700x
Motherboard: ROG Crosshair Hero VIII
Ram: G.SKILL 16GB 2x8GB 3000MHz, 15, 16, 16, 35
SSD/HDD: Samsung Evo 960 Nvme boot / SSHD storage
GPU: 1060 6GB EVGA SC
PSU: EVGA Supernova 750 Gold
Chassis: NZXT H700

Tried manual in bios just now. Max I can get is 4350, under 1.35V.
4400 - crash
Still don't know how and where to read actual voltage :(
1.35V set up in bios, ryzen master: 1.1V, CPUZ: 1.39V, HWinfo64: 1.056V...

Hypertension

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2009
Lil bit of reading i've done suggest these things need lots of voltage, more than most are comfortable throwing at it. They aren't monster OC (ryzen 3000) which is a slight disappointment. I've also seen some single cores can't hit advertised boost clocks so you to get over 4.2 all core is pretty decent. I'm still a newb tho just my 2 cents

In my experience, for 4.3 GHz on all cores, it needs at least 1.43v which requires much better cooling than stock. With Ryzen, it's some kind of rule of the thumb that max (practical) OC on all cores is same as it's maximum boost on one or 2 (maybe 3) cores. Properly set and working PBO will push my 3700x to 4.37GHz single core and that would give me higher single core/thread performance than if stuck with 4.3GHz OC.
Ryzen, specially Ryzen 3000 boost is also regulated by core temps and will not go high as 3.75+ unless under 65c.

Solution